Novo 4 pen ....

Status
Not open for further replies.

rossi_mac

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi

I am now using a Novo 4 pen for my evening fix (basal - Levemir)

Dialled up my 18 units of choice and took aim at the target, I did do an air shot first by the way. Having locked into the target (my hind quarters) I pressed down on the end of the pen, it felt quite heavy as if there was resistance against it, I gave up withdrew the pen, saw I had only administrated 8 untis? I re-inserted and injected the rest, with some effort, there was also some signs of insulin on the injection site!

So my question is was it a needle that was part blocked, a dodgy pen, or did I inject into a lump on me bum?

Cheers

Rossi 🙂

Hi Rossi,

I've been using the NovoRapid Pens for a while now and haven't had any issues. Mind you I've yet to inject in my bum as I prefer to see what I'm doing.

When first handed a pen I was advised to bin the pen if I had any doubts about it working properly.

I've found that with my novopen 3, when injecting in my behind or hip there appears to be more resistance when pushing down the button, but I've put this down to the peculiar distortion of my fingers, hand and arm in order to seek out and strike the target properly. The insulin around the area is usually just the droplets on the outside of the needle from the airshot. I'd try the injection in a more accessible site like the tummy and see if there still seems to be a problem with the pen - if there is then get a replacement 🙂

Cheers guys, I never considered the pen to be dodgy, I haven't used this one for long as it was my "spare" but I have always done the basal in the rear so no issue there, I wil try again tonight and see whats what!

Rossi

ps worked fine so either needle or being dim, i'd go for the later myself!

Last edited:
Very unlikely to be the needle if you change it after ever use and more likely the pen. I had the same problem with my last Novopen 3, it would lock for no apparent reason before the full dose was administered, but since moving to Novo 4 I've not had any problems.

Try changing the insulin cartridge as they can sometimes be faulty, or alternatively change your prescription to the Levemir Flexpens, these are pre-filled disposable pens and come in boxes of 5 pens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back