Novarapid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sugarcoated

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Please don't judge me. I'm usually really good but i take a load of meds & somehow forgot to renew my insulin cartridge. I'd have been using the same one for 7 wks.
Its seemed to have been working as sugars are good & no adverse reactions.
Just wondering if its ok?
I have since changed it & this time put an alarm on my phone to remind me in 4 wks.

Please don't judge me. I'm usually really good but i take a load of meds & somehow forgot to renew my insulin cartridge. I'd have been using the same one for 7 wks.
Its seemed to have been working as sugars are good & no adverse reactions.
Just wondering if its ok?
I have since changed it & this time put an alarm on my phone to remind me in 4 wks.
If it seems to have been working, then it probably was! I think manufacturers have to give it a bit of leeway. One thing you might do is keep an eye on your blood sugars for the first few shots of the new pen, just in case it seems to be ‘super strong'. I’ve had that a few times when I've misused my insulin pen (throwing it into a handbag and going for walks in hot sun) and gone on using it, not noticing that it’s been working slightly less well, and then when I've started the next cartridge it’s seemed to be working a bit too well!

If it seems to have been working, then it probably was! I think manufacturers have to give it a bit of leeway. One thing you might do is keep an eye on your blood sugars for the first few shots of the new pen, just in case it seems to be ‘super strong'. I’ve had that a few times when I've misused my insulin pen (throwing it into a handbag and going for walks in hot sun) and gone on using it, not noticing that it’s been working slightly less well, and then when I've started the next cartridge it’s seemed to be working a bit too well!
I will thank you. I'm usually quite good at changing it on time. Can't believe it slipped my mind.
Do you think it was safe to use?

Absolutely, the worst that can happen is that it will gradually become less effective. We've used them beyond 4 weeks before with no problems. I think the 4 week rule is just a guideline, just like food things don’t suddenly go off at midnight on the last day, you do usually have a bit of wiggle room.

Absolutely, the worst that can happen is that it will gradually become less effective. We've used them beyond 4 weeks before with no problems. I think the 4 week rule is just a guideline, just like food things don’t suddenly go off at midnight on the last day, you do usually have a bit of wiggle room.
Thank you. I can relax now.

I have definitely used my NovoRapid cartridges for much longer than 4 weeks.
As others have said, you will notice if the potency was wearing off.

NovoRapid seems to be very tolerant to time out of the fridge. Other insulins less so.
Please don't judge me.
We are here to help not judge. We are all human and have forgotten diabetes things at least once.

I used to regularly get 5-8 weeks out of my NR in the early days when I didn't need much and it was fine. I tend to be more concerned about waste than use by dates, so I always treat these thing with a bit of a cavalier attitude. I would never have considered binning it if there was some left I could use..... That's just me though, despite being told to ditch it 4 weeks after opening..
I need a bit more now, so I struggle to make a cartridge last beyond 30 days.

I’m similar to @rebrascora, I did draw the line though when I found my husband was still using a tube of Savlon cream that was 19 YEARS past its use by date 😱😱😛 He got a bit mardy when he found out that I’d thrown it away and bought a new one! I hate waste too, but I think that’s taking it a bit too far...

That does sound abit extreme & glad you threw the cream away
Well I very much doubt that the active ingredient, whatever that is, would still have been active after that long!

Well I very much doubt that the active ingredient, whatever that is, would still have been active after that long!
You should have sent it off to see what else was growing in it lol
I did have a spice in my cupboard last year that i had since i got married (1998) & hubby did ask naively - do you think i could put this in the curry? Ummmm...No!!!

You should have sent it off to see what else was growing in it lol
I did have a spice in my cupboard last year that i had since i got married (1998) & hubby did ask naively - do you think i could put this in the curry? Ummmm...No!!!
Daughter discovered a jar of my homemade jam in the larder labelled 1999. This was some time well into the new millennium. She pointed out we’d moved house in 2003, and said 'I can’t believe you thought it was even worth packing and moving it!' I replied, it was probably a case of, I’ll pack the jam because it’s less hassle than throwing it out and washing the jar when I've got a million and one other things to pack and move!
Anyway, I’m sure it wouldn’t have killed us! My mother would have retorted 'Oh Jam never goes off!' (I did chuck it, though, because it was a bit dried up!)

For Novorapid, one DSN said it was worth always checking NR against the light to see if there were any flecks or specks floating in it. It should be completely clear. 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back