Not Thinking About It – By Olly Double

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Once you get used to dealing with type 1 diabetes, you almost stop noticing it. It kind of hangs around in the background of your life, lurking quietly and not drawing attention to itself. Of course, you still have to do things to keep it quiet, but the blood glucose tests, the infusion set changes, the bolusing of insulin, the counting of carbohydrate and all that become just stuff you do without thinking about it too much. The problem is, however quietly it lurks when life’s straightforward, as soon as you move outside your normal pattern you’ll start to remember just what a pain in the backside it is.

Last month, for example, my Mum died. Anybody who has lost a parent will understand the kind of elemental grief that such a loss brings with it, but bereavement also brings with it lots of practical problems – and they’re the very kind of thing that make you start noticing diabetes again.

http://blogs.diabetes.org.uk/?p=2975

Great blog article 🙂

I'd like to say to Olly Double, his wife and teenage sons (both boys have type 1 diabetes, neither parent does) - don't be too hard on yourself. Losing a mother (of Olly) or grandmother (of the boys) is tough enough, and usually only happens twice in a lifetime, that you can excuse less than ideal blood glucose levels for a few days. It's more important to be with the people who matter, sharing memories etc. Staying in hotels, eating out etc are more common issues, and so, more important to try to master. Self catering accommodation is often easier to manage, but I don't know if that's an option in / near Lincoln, as I've only ever stayed with friends on the few nights I've spent in the area.

Just a couple of days ago, I went to the funeral of a very dear friend, who I'd known since an expedition in 1987. Through a quirk of fate, it was his decision to include a young man with type 1 diabetes on an expedition to South Greenland in 1992, and put him in my group, that helped me when I was diagnosed in 1996. I thought that if a young man, aged only 17 years, who'd only had diabetes a couple of years when we met could cope, then so could I, as an older woman. Many years later, we made contact by phone, and I was able to tell the young man. My friend who died was a great baker and cook, and always brough cake or jam when coming to stay, as he understood that type 1 diabetes means eating sensibly ie not eating it all in one sitting, not completely avoiding certain foods.

Needles to say, his wake involved a lot of tea, sandwiches and cake - and my blood sugars weren't ideal on the long train ride alone from Aberdeen to Yorkshire. But that's OK, in my opinion, for me. I'm not saying my philosophy of diabetes management is right for everyone, of course.

The trouble is Copepod, I do agree you let diabetes live with you and adapt to that, rather than YOU adapting to IT (eventually after the shock of diagnosis and all this malarkey has worn off) (I won't say that malarkey, cos it's "like the poor - always with us") but it's just when you aren't coping very well with life and its rich tapestry anyway - that Diabetes does rear its ugly little head and throws us a curved ball.

And then it's perfectly reasonable for anyone to throw a wobbler and not want to play that game any more.

So Diabetes wins and - (waily tearful LOUD voice) it's just not FAIR !

LOL

That's what I meant - there are days when it's better to concentrate on other things in life (like mourning a friend or relative) and let diabetes win. Then get back to bashing it into submission next day. Beating yourself up for having less than perfect blood glucose levels in oneself or anyone for whom you are responsible is not helpful. If it helps to throw a wobbler and say it's not fair, sure do that. Obviously only let control slip for a day or so at a time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back