Not sure what pre diabetic means? Help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aja72

Relationship to Diabetes
At risk of diabetes
I’ve been told by my doc that I’m now classed as pre diabetic at 49/50. I’m not sure what that means and I’m determined to reverse it. What can I do?

Do you need to lose weight?
That made the biggest difference for me.

Yes lots. I’m twice the weight I should be. So basically need to loose around 10 stones

Yes lots. I’m twice the weight I should be. So basically need to loose around 10 stones
This will help you massively. I am losing weight to get back to your level of prediabetes but in your shoes you may be able to get completely to a normal level by weight loss. I am following a 1200 cal a day low carb diet and exercising. I have found a brilliant youtuber who does short 10 min glucose lowering low impact exercises, they are easy to follow and not too daunting. Also walking my sons dogs has helped massively. I would make a diary or download an app like Nutricheck, you can choose low carb or low fat etc and it will help you as you log the food, show what you have left to play with. Your calorie intake may be higher than mine depending on your starting weight and height.

There are more extreme diets like the Newcastle Diet that others on here have used successfully but I wanted to eat real food as have lost weight on a shake diet before and then put it all back on as wasnt clued up on the nutritional values of real food.

Also this site is amazing and helps with lots of support and friendship 🙂 You are not alone and can do this.

I am surprised that you have been told prediabetic as the threshold for a diabetic diagnosis is 48mmol/mol and over so you are just on the first rung of the ladder and should have all the checks like eye retinal scan and foot checks.
As said losing weight will be a good step, how you do that is something you need to decide on yourself. Finding something that works, is enjoyable otherwise it will be unsustainable long term.
There are several approaches people try, one being low carb and this link may point you in the right direction. https://lowcarbfreshwell.co.uk/
Low calorie or 'shakes' based regimes are also something to consider as they can give you a kick start. You may find your GP supportive of that approach and get you onto a weight loss programme .

I am surprised that you have been told prediabetic as the threshold for a diabetic diagnosis is 48mmol/mol
The threshold for pre-diabetes/type 2 diabetes seems to be arbitrary and varies by country.
In the UK it is 48 but other countries use a different threshold.

‘Prediabetes’ isn’t an official diagnosis or specific condition as such, it’s just a shorthand way of saying ‘at risk of diabetes’. It’s quite commonly used these days, and seems to have been imported from the US as a term.

As others have said the usual UK criteria for being considered ‘at risk’ is an HbA1c between 42-47mmol/mol. Two results at 48 or above are generally enough to give you a diagnosis with T2.

HbA1c measures how much excess glucose has been circulating in the bloodstream. When glucose cannot properly be absorbed and used by the body, it remains in the bloodstream and can affect red blood cells by sticking to them. Since red blood cells last approx 120 days, measuring the amount that have been ‘glycosylated’ gives an estimation of glucose concentrations in the blood over the past 3-4months.

Your reading of 49 or 50 suggests that your metabolism is beginning to struggle with balancing glucose absorption. The body mainly derives glucose from carbohydrates in the diet - both simple sugars, and also starches (longer chains of glucose molecules that are broken down in the gut).

Good luck with the weight loss! There are lots of different strategies you can use to try to lose excess weight (eg calorie restriction, low carb, meal replacement shakes). So it’s helpful to find one that suits you, your body, and your goals.

Let us know how you get on 🙂

Good chance that if you lose that weight diagnosis can be reversed, wife was told she was prediabetic but was overweight at time, went on to lose 5 stone & since then all bloods have been normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back