Not sure what happened?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emzi

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
i was having a near perfect day yesterday morning blood was 5.9, lunch 4.4 then at 4.30pm it was 5.6 then at 5.30pm it was 7.7 i took it as i was at the gym, after a workout and just having plain water i tested once i was at home before dinner and it was 15.9? Totally confused as i thought exercise brought your level down? Im seeing dsn this morning so will go through things with her just thought id ask if anyone knew what i did wrong?

Im sure you havent done anything wrong...im sure someone here will help you out...if not discuss it with your dsn..good luckX

i was having a near perfect day yesterday morning blood was 5.9, lunch 4.4 then at 4.30pm it was 5.6 then at 5.30pm it was 7.7 i took it as i was at the gym, after a workout and just having plain water i tested once i was at home before dinner and it was 15.9? Totally confused as i thought exercise brought your level down? Im seeing dsn this morning so will go through things with her just thought id ask if anyone knew what i did wrong?

Hi Emma, did you retest? If I get an unlikely reading I wash my hands and test again - could be something on your fingers causing contamination,or a faulty strip (rare but it happens).

Exercise can push your levels up (typical!) if it has been intense - adrenalin and cortisol, the stress hormones, will cause the release of extra glucose from the liver which will elevate your levels, so if it was a hard workout, this could be a factor. Also, if you didn't have sufficient 'circulating' insulin then your body can't use the glucose properly - this might happen if it was a long time since your last injection as your slow-acting may not have been sufficient for the exercise. Don't let it put you off exercising!🙂

Hi Emzi,

Sorry to hear about the 15.9. I don't think you did anything wrong Emzi.

Here are my two thoughts on unexplained high numbers....

Did you wash your hands when you got that high number? Or a do a control solution test. I know it may sound obvious but I had a 22 point something once and after washing my hands properly and drying them it was 8.

The other reason you may have shot up is the liver may have acted when your pancreas produced Glucagon. Have a look at this wikipedia article... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glucagon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back