Not sure if forgot to take Lantus

mbmep

Relationship to Diabetes
Carer/Partner
My partner has his Lantus shot first thing in the morning. He can't remember whether he took it or not this morning! We are assuming it would be foolish to have a shot now 'just in case' (risk of terrible hypos). He is going to keep a close eye on his BG level, and if it shoots up inexplicably should he reckon he did forget it and take the shot then, or just control it with correction doses and start afresh tomorrow. And yes, he is feeling a bit silly!

No need to feel silly! If I didn't have a "last dose" reminder on my reusable pen I would often forget whether or not I have injected. It becomes so automatic you mostly simply do it without conscious thought.
You are right that he should not inject it again in case he didn't forget because that could cause hypos not only through the day but at night and possibly into tomorrow. In his situation I would just manage it with his fast acting insulin. In fact I am currently doing an experiment where I have deliberately not taken my long acting insulin for several days and just managing it with my bolus insulin to try to get a better insight into my insulin needs. It is not something I recommend for others and I am not starting to introduce a small dose of my basal at night to save having to wake up and inject every few hours, but it hasn't been nearly as difficult to manage as I expected and has been really fascinating to see the results which have been almost the opposite of what I expected.
Anyway, Hope your husband is wrong and he did inject it after all, but if not I hope it doesn't cause him to much frustration managing it till tomorrow. It may be a good idea to set an alarm overnight to inject some fast acting because obviously his evening fast acting insulin will run out after about 4-5 hours and then he may be at risk of developing DKA without any insulin in his system.

This is easily done @mbmep

Many forum members have trod the weary path before him, and I’m one of them. And you are right, it is safer to avoid double-dosing and to keep a close eye on levels today to see if they start drifting upwards.

If it helps, there are replacement pen caps that can. be purchased which detect when they have been removed, and can show when the pen was last used. If I remember rightly Timesulin was one, though I think there were a number of brands.

Back