Not sure how much I will be posting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rachelha

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hello all

I just wanted to apologise in advance for my lack of posting over the next couple of weeks.

I now have carpal tunnel syndrome and very swollen hands which are making typing difficult. I try to keep you updated on how I am doing, and reply to all the new pregnancy posts. I think we should get an induction date on Monday! I have not decided yet if I am going to tell people when it is.

Rx

Hi Rachel sorry to hear about that, i had to look up carpel tunnel syndrome so please excuse my ignorance.Hope to still see you on when you can get on, good luck X.

Hi Rachel,

Sorry to hear about the carpel tunnel - I also suffer from it as well as tendonitious (not sure if that is how it is spelt). Have you been given any wrist supports ? If not get a couple with the metal plates that sits in the palm of your hand and use voltal (if you can - stinks to high heaven but good). You can still do stuff with the wrist supports on.

It will ease of - have they said it is worse with the pregnancy? I can imagine your hands and wrists will have swollen quite a bit).

Hope it eases for you soon and good luck to with the arrival of your little bundle. xxx

Hi Rachel,

Sorry to hear about the carpel tunnel - I also suffer from it as well as tendonitious (not sure if that is how it is spelt). Have you been given any wrist supports ? If not get a couple with the metal plates that sits in the palm of your hand and use voltal (if you can - stinks to high heaven but good). You can still do stuff with the wrist supports on.

It will ease of - have they said it is worse with the pregnancy? I can imagine your hands and wrists will have swollen quite a bit).

Hope it eases for you soon and good luck to with the arrival of your little bundle. xxx

Di

carpal tunnel is a diabetic and just a pregnancy thing. I am hoping mine is due to pregnancy so it goes away. They have said they are not going to bother with splints for me just now, hoping it does go away.

Hi Rachel, sorry to hear about the carpal tunnel, I hope it eases soon 🙂 Post when you are able - because you've let us know, we won't send round the heavy squad! And don't worry, we won't forget about you!

I hope everything goes really well for you, my dear - can't believe how quickly time has passed!

get the splints! my mum had it with me and my twin & again with my little sis 5 years later and its never fully gone away. She has to wear splints in bed every night now. not trying to scare you i just know its not nice.

Di

carpal tunnel is a diabetic and just a pregnancy thing. I am hoping mine is due to pregnancy so it goes away. They have said they are not going to bother with splints for me just now, hoping it does go away.

Hi Rachel - not just through pregnancy! I reallt feel for you tho must be a lot worse 😱

Carpal tunnel syndrome occurs when the median nerve, which runs from the forearm into the hand, becomes pressed or squeezed at the wrist. The median nerve controls sensations to the palm side of the thumb and fingers (although not the little finger), as well as impulses to some small muscles in the hand that allow the fingers and thumb to move. The carpal tunnel - a narrow, rigid passageway of ligament and bones at the base of the hand - houses the median nerve and tendons. Sometimes, thickening from irritated tendons or other swelling narrows the tunnel and causes the median nerve to be compressed. The result may be pain, weakness, or numbness in the hand and wrist, radiating up the arm. Although painful sensations may indicate other conditions, carpal tunnel syndrome is the most common and widely known of the entrapment neuropathies in which the body's peripheral nerves are compressed or traumatized.

Women are three times more likely than men to develop carpal tunnel syndrome, perhaps because the carpal tunnel itself may be smaller in women than in men. The dominant hand is usually affected first and produces the most severe pain. Persons with diabetes or other metabolic disorders that directly affect the body's nerves and make them more susceptible to compression are also at high risk. Carpal tunnel syndrome usually occurs only in adults.

Poor you....pregnancy is a time to milk it hun 🙂 You could always ask your hubby to write as you speak :D?

All joking aside, i hope it doesn't get worse and i am sure it is another pregnancy thing us ladies have to deal with! My ankles swelled badly but went back to normal after the birth 🙂

I understand carpal tunnel can be painful so rest, put our feet up and get fanned with palms.

Take care hun

Bernie xx 🙂

hope it gets better and you dont need an op ,had it a while ago when i was still working ,thankfully for me it went away ,

I hope your hands improve soon Rachel and that all goes well on the Big Day. And that you'll be back in soon with photos of the wee bundle. Take care.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back