Not helpful

Status
Not open for further replies.

kathy s

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Had my bloods done today. After 3 attempts of drawing blood the nurse went to fetch another colleague who eventually managed to get blood from my stubborn veins! I do drink before I go but my viens disappear at the sight of a needle.
My mil tonight told me I'd lost too much weight and I looked ill! I've lost 2.5 stone since May I wasn't overweight but the weight loss is due to diet change. I'm still within my bmi!
Partner says I look fine and I'm happy with what I see but her comment really pi%%%d me off and i just needed to vent! Thanks

Sorry to hear you had a tough time at the vampires and that your MIL was not encouraging about your weight loss, but well done as that is a fantastic achievement. If you want to slow the weight loss or stabilize then eating more natural fats like nuts and avocado and I have cream in my morning coffee and plenty of cheese (cheese has become my new chocolate 🙄 etc.

I think that people are so used to overweight that normal or slender is unusual.
When I was in my early adult years I had a 24 inch waist and was considered 'heavy'!!

My mil tonight told me I'd lost too much weight and I looked ill!
People don't like it when people change. I still get this kind of thing sometimes even five years after becoming "skinny". Generally I just tell the person to go eat a donut.

Maybe there's an evolutionary explanation. Way back, a member of the tribe losing lots of weight, when nobody else was, probably had some kind of disease. A big worry - badger her out of the cave before she infects everybody!

Everyone else is telling me how well I look ( though I know the fatigue is not helping the bags under my eyes!) I think the issue is she is prediabetic and will not accept the fact that her diet needs to change. They have a cupboard full of biscuits and chocolate! They ask me what I now eat ( low carb, high fat) and can't believe I don't eat bread etc.
I just took her criticism to heart, but it's not worth saying anything, she's always been blunt!

Sorry to hear you had a tough time at the vampires and that your MIL was not encouraging about your weight loss, but well done as that is a fantastic achievement. If you want to slow the weight loss or stabilize then eating more natural fats like nuts and avocado and I have cream in my morning coffee and plenty of cheese (cheese has become my new chocolate 🙄 etc.
I love cheese, always have done but its an everyday staple at the time. And nuts are a go to snack!

I have an answer for people who want to drag me down, whether it's intentional or not.

Thanks for that.

As long as you're happy with your weight, it really doesn't matter what anyone else thinks, although I do appreciate these comments often get under your skin for a while.

It's a long time since I've stuck a needle in anyone's arm but 'nervous veins' is a definite thing. You could look at an arm, have a feel, all seems fab, then by the time you had turned your back and come back with the needle, the vein had done a runner to Australia! Only thing you can do to help is what you have already been doing - stay hydrated.

Had my bloods done today. After 3 attempts of drawing blood the nurse went to fetch another colleague who eventually managed to get blood from my stubborn veins! I do drink before I go but my viens disappear at the sight of a needle.
My mil tonight told me I'd lost too much weight and I looked ill! I've lost 2.5 stone since May I wasn't overweight but the weight loss is due to diet change. I'm still within my bmi!
Partner says I look fine and I'm happy with what I see but her comment really pi%%%d me off and i just needed to vent! Thanks
Congrats on your weight loss!

Vent away.

Oh, the weight loss comments I received from neighbours I remember them well. It was horrible. In a nutshell 'oh you have lost weight are you ok? looking deeply into my eyes and gently touching my arm . Not satisfied with that, it continued 'are you sure?' Just suppose I had a serious illness and didn't want to share, these stupid people simply have no awareness. What would they do if,I was very ill? Probably run away never to be seen again.

One woman went a stage further after I explained I was fine , 'well if you are sure' Their intrusive behavior (I am a very confident person) made me feel deeply uncomfortable. So now, it's my turn I remember each and every one of them , when we meet and I already know that everything is ok, I finish with the chit chat, and say,' Are you ok, you look very tired' Hand gently touching their arm with faux concern in my voice. That goes down like a lead balloon. Job done.

Good luck with your MIL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back