Not going back in the gym

Edwin Wine

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
My Gym and pool closed and I was faced with a challenge of how to keep excercising. In the gym i was running 6km every day or walking up an incline. 45 min. In addition some mat work and swimming 3 times a week.

In fact it was quite simple. I now walk twice a day about 3.5km each time and follow short excercise routines from two apps. One a stretching app ( morning and night) and the other a programme of activity you can do at home. Images attached. Takes about 20 min a day. In fact I have lost weight, have less back issues and sleep better.

Why spend £100s in the gym every year? Hear are the apps. They are linked to Google Fit which also links to mySugr I use for monitoring.

Attachments

everydayupsanddowns

Administrator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Glad you have found a system that works for you @Edwin Wine

I think some people find gyms more appealing when the weather gets colder and wetter over the winter months. Others really value the classes though I never did when I was a member.

I walk twice a day with the dogs, and while I’ve pondered rejoining a gym in recent years, I really don’t have the extra time for it!

Lizzzie

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hello! The reasons I'm not going to join a gym, EVER, are: walking everywhere and always having a project, currently trying to do 4 pull-ups (the number varies dramatically - between 1 and 12, not always sequentially as you can tell because I have breaks) and working towards achieving a hand-stand (so lots of practising that thing that involves trying to keep your hands on the floor and trying to walk your legs up a wall). Free demos available for all sorts of projects online, no apps required

ColinUK

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
My gym membership has been frozen since the start of the COVID times. It's unfreezing tomorrow and I'm looking forward to getting back to it.

I'm not 100% sure what to start with when I'm back in there so will probably just get on a treadmill and a rowing machine for a few sessions before incorporating resistance work again.

Edwin Wine

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
As time goes on I am more certain I will never go back in the Gym. I am still on the programme I outlined above. Just finished the Intermediate stage. E.g 2x 1min 40 sec of Planks etc. For me the Gym fee is a waste of money now.

helli

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I miss the gym but don’t feel it is an unnecessary luxury/risk and my gym cannot use their air con so it won’t be very comfortable.
I miss the classes but also miss the varied programs. I am conscious of making sure I don’t restrict myself to one program for a long period of time because it will focus on certain muscle groups only.
At the moment, my cardio is mostly on the bike where I have been pushing myself on the Zwift training programs. I also walk to the shops (downhill there and uphill with full bags) so get some resistance training with the weight of a weekly shop.
To avoid “bingo wings”, I hand knead at least one batch of bread each week.
I also miss the climbing centre but as it is impossible to climb without touching the holds and being close to other climbers, I am avoiding there too.
As I work from home (and have been for more than 6 years), I have to consciously make time for movement.

ColinUK

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
My gym membership unfroze today. I may go over the weekend, which is probably going to be just before we go into lockdown again and it’s frozen once more.

Renmer

Relationship to Diabetes
At risk of diabetes
I did un-freeze my membership at David Lloyd at the beginning of October. I never thought that I was a "gym type", but at the time, when I joined, I wanted to get fitter. It became like a second home for me and I made several really good friends. I have been out walking with them recently. I love the Dance and Zumba classes and use the machines once a week. Being over 60, I pay £77 each month, but I live on my own and I never go out for meals so it is well worth the money for me.

adrian1der

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I cancelled my David Lloyd membership at the start of lockdown in March and got myself a Peloton - the membership fee more or less covered he cost. Loving it although not done anything for two weeks after pulling my back. Think I have recovered enough to do a ride this afternoon