Not feeling hypos??

Status
Not open for further replies.

odd-sock

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I was only diagnosed with type 1 diabetes 4 weeks ago and for the first week or 2 my BG levels were high but in the last 2 weeks I've had occasionally hypos. At first when I had them I started feeling shakey literally as soon as I went below 4 but ealier I was testing before lunch and it was 1.8 yet I felt fine and had no warning signs. Has anyone else had this? I'm on insulin, 14u novorapid x3 and lantus 18 u at night, if that makes a difference :confused:

Kerri x

I was only diagnosed with type 1 diabetes 4 weeks ago and for the first week or 2 my BG levels were high but in the last 2 weeks I've had occasionally hypos. At first when I had them I started feeling shakey literally as soon as I went below 4 but ealier I was testing before lunch and it was 1.8 yet I felt fine and had no warning signs. Has anyone else had this? I'm on insulin, 14u novorapid x3 and lantus 18 u at night, if that makes a difference :confused:

Kerri x

Hi Kerri,

It is possible to lose your hypo awareness, especially if you've been keeping very tight control (i.e. hovering around 4 mmol/l), but I would suspect that maybe the 1.8 was a suspicious reading from your meter if you felt nothing at so low a level so soon after diagnosis. In that case I would have done another test - 1.8 is about the lowest I've ever been, but I sometimes don't notice anything until it's below 2.5.

the loss of hypo awareness is usually in people who have had diabetes for quite a while. As northener suggests if you have been keeping very good control 4-5 then you may not feel until you are below 3.

maybe you need to reduce your insulin so that you avoid hypos. they say that avoiding hypos completley is enough to regain awareness. Good to see you have been started on a decent insulin regieme from diagnosis

just to add, make sure you treat any reading below 4 as a hypo even if you feel fine.

When I was first diagnosed, because my sugars had been so high I noticed it when they dropped to arounf 5 or 6. It took me a while to get used to the new suagr levels. I try to test when I start to feel strange as I still feel odd when the meter is telling me I am between 4 and 5. No one else seems to think it is anything to worry about thoe.

I noticed some of my early hypos as I was shaking quite badly. My latest hypos have taken me by surprise when the number flashes on my BS meter. I didn't feel shaky and yet my BS is below 4. Managed a 2.8 before lunch on the 6th of this month without feeling anything wrong at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back