Not enough pockets!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan101

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I could really use some advice here please. I really do want to be good and take out all my 'stuff' (testing pack, insulin etc etc) but as a guy its sometimes hard to find pockets big enough or enough pockets to put it all into. I don't carry a man bag and sometimes I don't putting my blood testing kit on a belt loop as it draws attention to it (i'm still a bit shy about it all - i know i have NOTHING to be ashamed of, but I have confidence / image issues too). I dont carry a bag with me (but when I have my bag for work its a whole lot easier!! Any advice greately recieved! thank you!!!

Dump the little bag the testing kit comes in and put it in something smaller - I keep my whole kit (2 types of insulin, testing kit, spare needles and dextrose) in a slim pencil case.

Which testing kit do you use? There are plenty around, could you find a kit that's small enough to fit in your pocket? I mix and match my kit - finger pricker from Accu Chek, Bayer Contour USB meter.

I have this problem too, so usually just leave the stuff in the car.

This must be a common problem as i also suffer from this.

At the minute when i'm not carrying my backpack I just stick my insulin pen in one pocket and my test meter in another. I have a accu-check nano which is quite small and i just bought an ipod sock off ebay for about 60p which seems to do the job quite well. The only major problem is the pot for the test strips which is to big. I was going to put them in a smaller pot but i was told they would "go off" if not kept in the pot they come in.

Back to the drawing board for now.

Desang kitbags are good. They are a bit bulky but you can fit everything you could possibly need in them (I have 2 pens, meter, finger pricker, strips, needles, glucagon kit, tablet container, needle clipper and a tube of glucogel in mine). They look like a large filofax so aren't too obtrusive. For going out and about the National Trust do a shoulder bag that could have been made to measure to take a Desang.

http://www.desang.net/

Last edited:
Working in London, I observe people. There are so many men carrying bags these days, that if a man doesn't have one he looks out of place. Have a wander round a good luggage shop and see what is available and invest in a good light weight bag.

The accuchek mobile might be a meter to consider as you can carry it out of a bag as it's all in one, you don't need any strips and there is no rubbish to dispose of. It is a bit on the large size but that might be outweighed by the fact that you don't have to carry any extra stuff. Alternatively the optimum xceed has foil wrapped strips in 5's, so you can take a few out with you and the machine is quite small.

http://www.medicalshop.co.uk/s/1.229/TRUEone-All-In-One-blood-glucose-testing-system

Have you seen the above meter. It is a meter and test strips combined. You have to buy it yourself and the meter is thrown away after all the test strips are used so it is not the most cost effective or environmentally friendly. I have one for when I am going out and dont want to take a big back or as a back up trips away.

I have often thought it is easier for girls than boys being diabetic - stuff wise anyway

Thank you all for your help on this one. Rachelha - i agree, girls have their handbags! Caroline, yeah, manbags I think maybe the term? I have one for work but not sure if i could pull the look off. I have the freestyle lite tester. i've been thinking about getting a new one though and will deff have a look at those suggested. Jules A, where could I see a pic of that bag by the National Trust??

http://www.medicalshop.co.uk/s/1.229/TRUEone-All-In-One-blood-glucose-testing-system

Have you seen the above meter. It is a meter and test strips combined. You have to buy it yourself and the meter is thrown away after all the test strips are used so it is not the most cost effective or environmentally friendly. I have one for when I am going out and dont want to take a big back or as a back up trips away.

I have often thought it is easier for girls than boys being diabetic - stuff wise anyway

This is an interesting thread. I took a look at this one Rachel and i noted at the bottom of the page it states:

This product is also available on prescription

Perhaps Dan you could enquire....?

Bernie x 🙂

getcarter76, yeah, you're right it does and think this could be a good route to take. Again, to everyone, since being diagnosed december last year, this message board and the people on it have given me such comfort and support, thank you all!

be proud get a MAN BAG !!!!! lets change the world !

getcarter76, yeah, you're right it does and think this could be a good route to take. Again, to everyone, since being diagnosed december last year, this message board and the people on it have given me such comfort and support, thank you all!

Awww bless ya....i know exactly what you mean though. I happened upon this forum by accident and has been a really great support and the advice is second to none 🙂

I've been T1 for 27 years and i wished there was something like this when i was younger. It is great and there is a wealth of knowledge and experiences shared on here that is really valuable. No question is ever silly and this forum can pay dividends when you find you are just having one of those days which happen to the best of us and to share with likeminded people who understand helps.

There are lots of interesting threads as well which are good to read when you have the time of course 🙄

Hope you find something that suits you with not having enough pockets..

Bernie x 🙂

Hey man, I feel your pain!!

I've only had this thing for a wee while, but have gone round in circles with carrying stuff!

Currently the two pens sit in pocket easily, and testing kit (contour usb) is like a glasses case and can be in hand shirt/jacket pocket, or back pocket, just hake sure to move it when sitting down.

I once had a travel pouch that held it all and I had in my hand coat pocket or over neck like a tourist.

I have and still will even empty all contents into pockets, pens and needles in one pocket, testing bits in other, not ideal but better than loosing a little bag.

Although in this current hot weather shorts are great as they have so many pockets!

Hope you get something sorted, and keep up your street cred!😉

Rossi :D

be proud get a MAN BAG !!!!! lets change the world !

Haha my dad is very old fashioned and says that only 'puffs and italians men carry handbags' People like him need to be proved wrong i think, Man bags are the way forward!!

Its not always easier, partys and going out can be hard with small bags, i can get my stuff all in at the start of the night but as the night goes on its like the space gets smaller.

New Meter - No more bags??!

Good news! Have JUST got back from appointment with diabetes nurse and i've been given a great new meter, the accu-check mobile! Give it a look online, I registered it online and got a choice of free carry case too, I went for the one with the belt clip (for obvious reasons!!!) its one unit, both finger pricker and test strips unit combined, answer to prayers!!!! If anyone has this type of meter already, then what are your thoughts/advice for using the meter? Thanks 🙂

Good news! Have JUST got back from appointment with diabetes nurse and i've been given a great new meter, the accu-check mobile! Give it a look online, I registered it online and got a choice of free carry case too, I went for the one with the belt clip (for obvious reasons!!!) its one unit, both finger pricker and test strips unit combined, answer to prayers!!!! If anyone has this type of meter already, then what are your thoughts/advice for using the meter? Thanks 🙂

Hi Dan great news pleased your pleased with your new meter .

I had the older version of this & loved it. Its a great meter and only gave it up when I got a free one through the post I thought I'd try and couldn't be bother to switch back lol =)

My kids have the little True Result Twist BG monitors, as they both were getting very fed up of having to carry a full bag to the park when they want to climb and run and play. This is like the one mentioned above - a tiny very simple monitor attached to the pot of strips (said pot could easily be half the height but suspect using a standard size to save costs) - but it is twisted off and attached to the next pot, so less waste. They then just carry the pot and a finger pricker and some fast sugar in a pocket.
For longer days and at school we still use the Accucheck nano and they have a bag over their shoulders with full bottle of lucozade. Hopefully getting them used to this now will help wehn they are older and considering the 'man bag' issue for themselves lol.
They have pumps so no issue on carrying insulin.
Actually, have you seen SPI belts? They are in USA and boys use them for their pumps, but there is no reason at all you couldn't use them for kit. They fit tight against the waist and don't bounce. They were developed for running but look almost invisible under a tee shirt etc, especially in the small of the back. Many colours and not a man bag issue in sight.

Hi Jacqui,
Can you tell me where you get the meters from? That sounds like something Alex would like - but i dont really want to use different strips - are they the same as the nano as we use this meter too?🙂Bev

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back