Not eligible for tech use metformin, but need to start using a blood testing kit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

spjb

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi,
I will be starting a new drug for my cancer,seems that one of its effects can be to raise blood sugar. I want to try and keep on this new drug as long as possible.
I take 2 x 500 @ day Metformin, have been on same for over 12 years, blood sugars have remained stable. Have not used a testing kit for a long time and would be most appreciative if anyone can recommend a reliable accurate and not too expensive one I can use. If I remember correctly it was the cost of strips that stopped me using a testing kit after awhile as I was living on carers allowance.
Thanks for reading and hope you have had a good day 🙂

Hi,
I will be starting a new drug for my cancer,seems that one of its effects can be to raise blood sugar. I want to try and keep on this new drug as long as possible.
I take 2 x 500 @ day Metformin, have been on same for over 12 years, blood sugars have remained stable. Have not used a testing kit for a long time and would be most appreciative if anyone can recommend a reliable accurate and not too expensive one I can use. If I remember correctly it was the cost of strips that stopped me using a testing kit after awhile as I was living on carers allowance.
Thanks for reading and hope you have had a good day 🙂
The GlucoNavii or TEE2 are ones with the cheaper strips available on line but worth shopping around as prices do change, I think at the moment they are about £10 for a pot of 50.
It may be worth asking your GP for a monitor and strips on prescription if you are going to be taking a medication which is likely to affect blood glucose, worth a try.

I hope the cancer med is effective, and the BG disruption is only very minor @spjb

The SD Gluco Navii or the Spirit Tee2 that @Leadinglights has mentioned are regular recommendations from forum folks who have to self-fund their meter, because of the affordability of the strips.

Let us know how you get on 🙂

I’d try to get a Contour Plus for free - I got mine directly from the manufacturer. Strips are around ten pounds a pot. Contour meters have good accuracy and the my support Bluetooth and the app integrates with apple health and there’s a website with reports on it.

I bought the GlucoNavii and threw it away. Cheap and nasty. You get what you pay for.

I’d try to get a Contour Plus for free - I got mine directly from the manufacturer. Strips are around ten pounds a pot. Contour meters have good accuracy and the my support Bluetooth and the app integrates with apple health and there’s a website with reports on it.

I bought the GlucoNavii and threw it away. Cheap and nasty. You get what you pay for.
I have a CodeFree the predecessor of the GlucoNavii and it still works well

i'd second the Contour Plus. Strips currently £8.59 for 50 at chemist4u

All meters meet the same specification for accuracy, so choose one that has low-cost strips and also is the right size to carry around.

There is a free 14 day trial of the Libre 2 available. Depending on time scales you could maybe start a few days before commencing the new meds & then have a before & after comparison. Albeit over a rather short period, it might be enough to show any sudden rise that may be due to the meds.

All meters meet the same specification for accuracy, so choose one that has low-cost strips and also is the right size to carry around.
While all meters should meet the minimum standard, that doesn't mean they all have the same accuracy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back