(Not) being a blood donor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
After being a blood donor for many years I was disappointed to learn that I could no longer donate now I've been diagnosed with diabetes. I don't really understand why this should be - there's nothing wrong with my blood, just my pancreas!

Surely there must be many blood donors out there with undiagnosed diabetes?

This has recently changed. So long as you are not taking certain medications then they should accept you as a donor.

I recently volunteered to donate blood to a reseach facility that calibrates the HbA1c test facilities, but was told that they could not accept me as I was taking Ramipril (for kidney problems ) and it could cause a problem with low blood pressure. None of the other modications I'm taking were a problem for them.

If you want to donate, talk to your local donor centre and check with them if you would still be considered.

I found a statement from the Welsh Blood Service http://www.welsh-blood.org.uk/English/news/article.asp?Action=View&ID=343 which seems to explain the changes from Sept 08. I assume the guidelines also apply in National Blood Service (England & north Wales) and Scottish National Blood Transfusion Service and Northern Ireland Blood Transfusion Service. Unfortunately, those treated with insulin are not allowed to give blood.

Copepod is right, according to this BBC article http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7637374.stm:

"Some people with diabetes and high blood pressure are to be allowed to donate blood for the first time.

A committee of experts has ruled it is safe for these groups to give blood, even if they are taking medication to control their condition.

However, donors must have no complications or underlying medical conditions - and people taking insulin for diabetes remain barred.

There were concerns that donating blood might compromise diabetes medication.

In the UK almost one in 20 people has diabetes, and increasing numbers are being diagnosed with the type 2 form of the condition, which mainly affects adults.

However, the majority manage their condition by taking tablets and most are fit and healthy.

However, to ensure that it is safe to give blood donors have to fill in a health check questionnaire and talk to a trained member of staff before pressing ahead.

Dr Lorna Williamson, medical director of NHS Blood and Transplant, said: "Type 2 diabetes and high blood pressure are diagnosed in increasing numbers of people.

"Many were regular blood donors who were saddened when they had to stop donating.

"Guidelines are in place to ensure safety of both donors and patients.

"The committee regularly reviews new evidence and that has shown that it is safe for them to donate so this restriction has been lifted."

Libby Dowling, of the charity Diabetes UK, said: "We welcome these new guidelines and are pleased that some people with diabetes are now eligible to donate blood if they wish to.

"There are 2.3 million people with diabetes in the UK and these new regulations mean that a significant proportion of people with the condition can now help save lives by donating blood." "

I have written to the National Blood Service and when they reply I will let you know.

The Blood Servuice got back to me and said this:

"You may donate as long as: EITHER you have been diagnosed with pre-diabetes (abnormal blood sugar) or gestational (pregnancy) diabetes as long as you do not require treatment at present or your diabetes is controlled by diet alone

OR You are taking the same dose of the same medication for 4 weeks or more and feeling fit and well and in either case the following does NOT apply:

*You are not under investigationsYou have needed no treatment with insulin within the last 4 weeks

*You have not suffered from Heart Failure

*You are not under investigation, on treatment or under follow up for renal (kidney) impairment

*You have never had ulcers or wounds related to a loss of sensation

*You have had no amputation or blood vessel surgery

*You have never had gangrene

*You have no problems with feeling faint, fainting or giddiness

Please always mention medication you are taking to the staff at session."

I have bever been able to give blood as I have been on thyroxine since I was a baby and type 1 since age 4. I find it annoying because if your blood went into someone whose pancreas worked normally there would be no problem. In May my boyfriend was diagnosed with renal cancer and had several transfusions over the next few months because his haemoglobin kept dropping. I am eternally grateful to those people who give blood as I think he would have died a lot sooner without their help. (He died in September). There are also several fit and healthy people out there who won't donate blood i.e Jehovah's witnesses.

blood donation

Having been a blood & plasma donor for about 10 years before dignosis and having worked with the blood services in England, Wales & Scotland since dignosis with Type 1, I can accept that restrictions on giving blood are based on minimising risk to both donors and recipients. The balance depends on many things - for example, many non UK countries will not take donations from those who lived in the UK during the early CJD days. As both donors and recipients in the UK have been exposed to the same potential avoidable risks (ignoring for a moment whether people chose to exclude all meat / all mammal meat / any meat but muscle etc - there are lots of places where the line could be drawn), no UK blood services take this into consideration. I guess that donors with undiagnosed diabetes are considered unavoidable non-serious risks - somewhat like the types un/known un/knowns as stated by George Bush! Also, there is a technical and important difference between risk and hazard, which I am not going to explain here.

What I find harder to accept is that many people are able to give blood, but chose not to ever give - or perhaps don't even think about it. So, if the topic is ever raised, I try to encourage people to do so. Most Jehovah's Witnesses, by the way, refuse to accept blood products, and so they don't donate either. It's a way on interupting a biblical text, in same way as other religions have dietary codes. Having met many blood donors when helping with a research project, I was struck by how keen they were to help in any way - in fact, sometimes had to restrain them from volunteering to sign consent forms for a spouse who'd gone to the loo, apologising that only 2 of their 3 children could help, because the other was pregnant etc.

organ donation

I hope that people will read this in the attitude in which it is offered - a postive way to help others to live after your death.

People with diabetes CAN donate their organs after death, even though some are prevented from giving blood during life - see http://www.uktransplant.org.uk/ukt/how_to_become_a_donor/questions/answers/answers_7.jsp#q19

As well as joining the register, it's important to also talk to relatives, as they will be asked about your and their intentions, if you are in the situation of being considered as an organ donor. It's also a good chance to find out their intentions / wishes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back