Not another thing....

Status
Not open for further replies.

AJLang

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I had an NHS audiology appointment on Monday morning. I already have mild to moderate hearing loss in my left ear which started four years ago and requires a hearing aid.
Since then each year ENT that the yearly audiology tests showed little subsequent change. The last NHS was a year ago.
At NHS audiology on Monday they said that since the last test a year ago there has been a further significant reduction in hearing loss in my eft hear and that I need to see an ENT consultant. Audiologist is certain that it isn't age related and seemed concerned about what has caused this amount of change in a short amount of time - I think that I've been noticing the change for quite a few months hence why I'd requested the audiology appointment.
Got an NHS ENT appointment at 9am next Monday.
On the plus side I've now got NHS hearing for both ears. Hearing loss in right ear is "only" mild.

Sorry to hear about your hearing loss @AJLang

Hope they can get to the bottom of what has caused the changes, and slow any further progression.

There do seem to be many causes of hearing deterioration or loss, but most can be successfully treated. My daughter started to go deaf in her mid-twenties, and successfully managed with hearing aids but they stopped being effective. At 45, she had what they called otosclerosis where there is overgrowth of the bones in the ear, so she had a surgery called a stapedectomy where the bones are removed and replaced with artificial ones, it has been really successful, and she has 90% hearing and doesn't need to hearing aids. She had one ear done first then the other 5 years later. It was scary as they said if it didn't work then the hearing loss would not be able to be corrected by hearing aids.
Identifying the problem is key and sticking with wearing the hearing aids if that is what they suggest.
I met a lady in her late eighties recently who had just had a cochlear implant.
So, there are lots of options.

Thank you everyone. I’m finding it such a blow after finding out a few months ago that I’d lost even more of my sight. It just feels like my sight and hearing is being taken away bit by bit but I am so very grateful about the amount of sight and hearing that I do have even if it is a lot less than most people.
thank you @Leadinglights but the thought of what could happen if my ears needed surgery petrifies me . Even more so than the potential glaucoma surgery that I have hanging over my head xx

Thank you everyone. I’m finding it such a blow after finding out a few months ago that I’d lost even more of my sight. It just feels like my sight and hearing is being taken away bit by bit but I am so very grateful about the amount of sight and hearing that I do have even if it is a lot less than most people.
thank you @Leadinglights but the thought of what could happen if my ears needed surgery petrifies me . Even more so than the potential glaucoma surgery that I have hanging over my head xx
My daughter said it was very straight forward and the recovery was OK, she couldn't do sudden movements for about 2 weeks so had to rest, not easy with 2 teenagers. She felt it was well worth it as she was struggling at work.

I had the appointment with the ENT doctor yesterday and couldn't believe what I was told in the appointment. He said that because the MRI of the ear area four years ago was normal and that because my balance tests showed neurological rather than ear issues that there is nothing he can do for me about my hearing loss.
He had said that I was to continue being monitored by audiology but there was nothing ENT could do and that as my hearing worsens it will just continue to be dealt with by the hearing aids.

Oh Amanda, I know that must be really disappointing in some respects, but at least you now don't have to worry about potential surgery not being successful, and hearing aid technology, like diabetes technology, is improving all the time, so hopefully they will be able to counteract your hearing deterioration and perhaps improve it.
Sending (((HUGS))) as I can totally understand how upsetting it must be.

Sorry to hear you have been with another blow regrading your hearing. Sending you ((hugs))

Thank you very much Barbara and Grovesy. I've got over the shock and now focusing on all the good things that I can do xx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back