Not Another One

Status
Not open for further replies.

SilentAssassin1642

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1

For gods sake

I calculated the carbs in my dinner and took extra into account cuz it was pie. AND NOW THIS HAS HAPPENED. I even injected into a new area.

WHY?????????

I want to cry

Just a thought but is it possible that what you injected had 'gone off', or that you've got a bad batch? I'm sorry I forget which med(s) you use and I'm a complete ignoramus when it comes to Type 1.

Just a thought but is it possible that what you injected had 'gone off', or that you've got a bad batch? I'm sorry I forget which med(s) you use and I'm a complete ignoramus when it comes to Type 1.

could be. But it was a new vial yesterday AND i've had really good levels all day up til now......

I was going to say that maybe it's a spike of you injected into your leg (takes longer to absorb the insulin) and if you injected after you ate. Still could be possible if you come down more by say 11. If not then maybe you need to up your ratios? Might need a higher ratio in the evenings... How have your readings been after breakfast and lunch?

I was going to say that maybe it's a spike of you injected into your leg (takes longer to absorb the insulin) and if you injected after you ate. Still could be possible if you come down more by say 11. If not then maybe you need to up your ratios? Might need a higher ratio in the evenings... How have your readings been after breakfast and lunch?

injected just before I ate. This is really wierd because this is another thing that has never usually affected me this badly. Maybe I miscalculated the carbs. I had 14 units. It was steak pie, chips and brocoli...very very very carby.

I mean, I'm having to inject into my leg now, as spoken about earlier in my lumpy bits thread, cuz of well...lumpy bits.

I really need to sit down and work out proper ratios. I'm a self taught carb counter, and working on the basis of a 1:10 which apart from random meals etc works fine.

Readings after breakfast and lunch when I have it have been super. The highest today before this one was 6.8 before dinner.

Try eating the same meal tomorrow at the same time and increase the ratio - I know its boring eating the same - but at least you will know if its the ratio or not! Also, fat in pie and chips does delay the digestion of the food - so probably something to do with it.🙂Bev

p.s. on a pump you could do a dual wave over 4 or 6 hours or so and this would have stopped the late high!

You could try to eat the same meals for a few days to see whether the insulin works the same each day or whether the numbers are random. I suspect you need to work on ratios - I should do the same! it's all just hard work.

You could try to eat the same meals for a few days to see whether the insulin works the same each day or whether the numbers are random. I suspect you need to work on ratios - I should do the same! it's all just hard work.

ha ha - snap!:DBev

Try eating the same meal tomorrow at the same time and increase the ratio - I know its boring eating the same - but at least you will know if its the ratio or not! Also, fat in pie and chips does delay the digestion of the food - so probably something to do with it.🙂Bev

p.s. on a pump you could do a dual wave over 4 or 6 hours or so and this would have stopped the late high!

hmmm, i would...except we don't have any pie left lol. Aye, the whole fat thing in it sounds right to me. If i remember rightly, I did have the same sort of problem with chicken steak and jacket potato (despite it being ok for a while then suddenly boom highs despite having it before and no problems).

This is lame :(

Checked for ketones, and none. Good 🙂 though, muscle cramp. urgh

ha ha - snap!:DBev

great minds 😉

Sam if I were you I would try getting your ratios right with a meal that is less difficult to work out. Go buy some of the same thing and see how it goes for a few days. I plan to do this as soon as I can get to the shops (I dont drive and live in the middle of nowhere).

hmmm. Well, I no longer have any problems with stuff like korma/curry - with that I know 17 units is enough and I don't have a nasty spike. That took yonks to work out. BUT because I am useless at numbers and stuff I can't work out what insulin: carb ratio that is.............

Maybe not the healthiest option (or cheapest) but packet food that states the carb content is good if trying to work out ratios,

Hope you work it out soon Sam, you're getting too many occasions like this for my liking!

Hope you work it out soon Sam, you're getting too many occasions like this for my liking!

thanks

stupid isn't it? :(😡 phone call to nursey tomorrow I think, pull a few tears.

you know, I looked at the carb content thing on the back of the packet and worked out 8 units for the pie and allowed myself 3 extra because I knew the funny absorbtion thingy would kick in, worked out the chips and thought it would be ok. Obviously I got it wrong.

i tested it an hour ago, now its 23.6

what do i doooooooooo? I'm really starting to panic

not sure Sam sorry is it worth testing again making sure meter strip and your hand/blood is clean etc, not sure what else to suggest don;t they say drink the water and check for ketones?

Take care

hands washed, checked again and did the control solution test. Retested 22.2, still feeling like poo

When i checked for ketones they were a negative. Drinking water like its going out of fashion.

i tested it an hour ago, now its 23.6

what do i doooooooooo? I'm really starting to panic

Have you changed your Insulin to a brand new vial? and the needle, just incase either arent working properly?

Have you tried splitting your bolus for really carby meals? might be that your insulin is peaking before the pie has started to kick in so when you get the full whack of the pastry youve got no insulin knocking around for it? Maybe some before you eat and some 20-40 mins later?

I could never get my head round this because i always assumed id hypo in between if that was the case, but it definately worked for me - being a huge fan of Pie and chips i always ended up in the 20s if i didnt split it.

Try not to panic yourself tonight, keep jabbing small amounts and testing then rejabbing if nec. Dont want to send yourself through the floor during tonight. And keep testing for ketones.

Is Matt with you?

Have you changed your Insulin to a brand new vial? and the needle, just incase either arent working properly?

Have you tried splitting your bolus for really carby meals? might be that your insulin is peaking before the pie has started to kick in so when you get the full whack of the pastry youve got no insulin knocking around for it? Maybe some before you eat and some 20-40 mins later?

I could never get my head round this because i always assumed id hypo in between if that was the case, but it definately worked for me - being a huge fan of Pie and chips i always ended up in the 20s if i didnt split it.

Try not to panic yourself tonight, keep jabbing small amounts and testing then rejabbing if nec. Dont want to send yourself through the floor during tonight. And keep testing for ketones.

Is Matt with you?

That splitting thing could work. Never tried it, but might be worth trying. I'll have to give it a go.

Yeah he's with me. But he's not entirely sure what to do or how to handle the situation. Starting to feel very sick, and am refusing to go to bed until i feel a bit better. Pains in feet starting to get bad again too. GAH.

numberwang now says 21.0

is this coming down too slowly? injected an hour and a half ago, with 8 units.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back