Not allowed test strips on prescription

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carina1962

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I have to buy my test strips because i am Type 2, diet/excercise controlled. I ran out about over a week ago and decided to wait until payday (yesterday) and just used my urine sticks which i am allowed on prescription. I really missed not using the strips and just didn't feel i was properly in control. Before i ran out of strips i had managed to get my FBG to low to mid 6's and yesterday i bought some more strips and tested this morning at 7.5 and now i feel i have to start all over again in controlling. I really do wish we could get strips on prescription, is it all to do with money and it costing the NHS lots? I can't believe that the medics don't feel it's important for us to test, i feel like writing to my MP :(

I have to buy my test strips because i am Type 2, diet/excercise controlled. I ran out about over a week ago and decided to wait until payday (yesterday) and just used my urine sticks which i am allowed on prescription. I really missed not using the strips and just didn't feel i was properly in control. Before i ran out of strips i had managed to get my FBG to low to mid 6's and yesterday i bought some more strips and tested this morning at 7.5 and now i feel i have to start all over again in controlling. I really do wish we could get strips on prescription, is it all to do with money and it costing the NHS lots? I can't believe that the medics don't feel it's important for us to test, i feel like writing to my MP :(

I reckon you should write to your MP and your surgeries practice manager. I'm on diet and exercise control, and have managed to persuade my nurse and doctor to give me a monitor and give me strips on prescription. When I was last in to see the doc on an unrelated matter and I mentioned testing, she told me that I shouldn't be testing all the time. I explained to her that if she wants me to continue being diet/exercise controlled and delay progressing to medication/insulin for as long as possible, the only way I can do that is by being able to see for myself the effects of the food I am eating and adjust my diet accordingly. I told her that I had already reduced my fbg to within the 5 - 6 range, down from the original 7.2 at diagnosis and that I'm now unlikely to go above 10 at 1 hour after eating and am usually always under 6.5 at 2 hours. All this was possible because I was testing. She wasn't totally convinced but I am getting strips on prescription - 50 at a time.

I've bought loads off ebay so not getting prescription ones too often at the moment and not expecting to be testing as much in the future other than the usual fasting one and maybe one after either lunch or dinner or if I try new foods.

So - go for it, write those letters and give them hell. Good luck

Karina 🙂

.........i feel like writing to my MP :(...........
Do it Carina! Do it today! In my opinion, it's the only way things will move forward!

........and your surgeries practice manager.........
Yes - I agree Karina! To him/her too ...........and anyone else that we can all think of!

Why not approach the Doc again with your logbook, results and the methods you are using. Demonstrate the progress you made with testing.

SOmetimes I think it is worth talkingt to the nurse at the surgery. I know nurses can't do prescribing, but they do have some influence with the doctor. It's worth a try.

I think that the general medical opinion is that type 2s trying to titarate food on a day-by-day, food-by-food basis is a waste of time (and money if you are using a lot of test strips doing so). Generally eating a healthy diet ie low in fat with plenty of fruit and veg with exercise and trying not to be overweight is more important.

From reading these diabetic forums (not just this one) you get the impression some non-hypo risk type 2s like to watch the numbers go up and down on their meters and can become become a bit obsessive about it. 🙂

I think that the general medical opinion is that type 2s trying to titarate food on a day-by-day, food-by-food basis is a waste of time (and money if you are using a lot of test strips doing so). Generally eating a healthy diet ie low in fat with plenty of fruit and veg with exercise and trying not to be overweight is more important.

From reading these diabetic forums (not just this one) you get the impression some non-hypo risk type 2s like to watch the numbers go up and down on their meters and can become become a bit obsessive about it. 🙂

I agree that some people are a bit obsesive about the numbers, but in general testing helps us to see which food are gonna affect us most. we are all different, and it is through trial and error that we work out what we can have safely.

Those on tablets or who are diet controled are less likely to have a hypo, but it is not impossible, so the test strips are a good tool for helping us to stay healthy and get the right treatment.

If it was just to watch the numbers go up and down then I agree that testing wouldn't be of much use. But testing's not just useful to spot hypos, it also useful to assess what different foods do to you, and so inform your future actions. There's not much point in testing if you're not going to do anything with the results but doing something withthem doesn't just mean changing medication, if you're using the readings to make judgments to achieve better control then it is a central part of the treatment.

If it was just to watch the numbers go up and down then I agree that testing wouldn't be of much use. But testing's not just useful to spot hypos, it also useful to assess what different foods do to you, and so inform your future actions. There's not much point in testing if you're not going to do anything with the results but doing something withthem doesn't just mean changing medication, if you're using the readings to make judgments to achieve better control then it is a central part of the treatment.

Agreed. Clearly if you're not at risk of hypos you don't need to test to detect them. I think the issue is more a case of, with newly-diagnosed people especially, but also people longer-diagnosed who have learned about the possibilities, establishing what kind of foods are OK for them. To me, it is about quality of life, including greater freedom of choice in food that is healthy and not harmful. It's a fact that some foods regarded as 'healthy' in general might actually have a very adverse effect on someone's levels - if they cannot test, they cannot know this. Conversely, there may be foods thought to produce spikes that don't in that individual - knowing this gives greater variety and choice in diet.

Testing may be frequent in the initial stages, but as many of the Type 2s here have attested, once established the need for testing diminishes dramatically. Surely it is better to test in the early stages and work out a good, dependable diet rather than wait for later life when damage has been done and the person finds themselves having to test anyway because they are on glucose-lowering drugs or insulin? I think testing is essential as part of early treatment, and education should be provided and results monitored if the person with diabetes is to be truly cared for by their healthcare 'team'.

In my opinion testing is very important indeed! I'm 100% on that issue!

For the first eight years I couldn't have even told you what an hypo' was - certainly, I wouldn't have been able to confidently state whether an hypo' was too high or too low. The healthcare professionals just kept telling me to go along for all my tests - which I did - and then they used to say they would get in touch if anything was wrong. They got in touch when my HbA1c had eventually risen very slowly from just over 5 to 9.4% over a period of around seven years. That was when my GP prescribed metformin.

Very soon after that, I started testing but only because I insisted to do it. I had to buy my strips because my GP refused to prescribe them saying that it was totally unnecessary. I didn't agree! Almost as soon as I started testing - and came to understand which foods were responsible for shoving my numbers up - my blood glucose levels started to fall - and quite quickly too.

Despite my history I have no identifiable problems or symptoms even. However, with the benefit of hindsight, I would have started testing right from diagnosis. Things are certainly different these days! Moreover, since my GP has seen the improvement that testing has given me - he now prescribes strips for me against both practice and PCT policy.

These days, I'm fairly obsessive about my diabetic condition. However, I've only done five tests so far this week - all morning 'on rising' tests of 4.7, 4.9, 4.2, 4.7 and 4.5 - i.e. non-diabetic readings as I understand things. Moreover, and again as far as I understand things, levels that should keep me well clear of the quite horrible complications that can come a diabetic's way just so long as I can maintain them.

I'm unashamedly extremely happy about my current situation and understanding that I have managed to get to by interacting with others on these diabetes forums. However, I do realise that nothing is necessarily forever and that things can change. I just hope that I can stay this way for the next 34 years until I reach 100 and then I'll be happy to review the situation and see where I ought to go from there. Maybe then I'll relax even more on testing but I think that it's unlikely. 🙂

John

Last edited:
In my opinion testing is very important indeed! I'm 100% on that issue!

John

Totally agree John. I'll admit that I'm totally anally retentive about the whole D thing, and am a complete control freak. However, I also think that the benefits I'm seeing from testing and adjusting are worth the cost of a few strips..

Karina

hi there

Hi Carina

I have read your post and agree with everyone i think you should contact your mp. Perhaps i should contact mine too, i have the same problem, paying out for test strips and lancets, i have spoken to the practice manager but all i get is her telling me that i should not be testing, i have even told them that my epileptic consultant wants my blood sugars tested daily because she is still trying to find out what is causing me to have my seizures (she has not ruled out it being linked to my diabetes) but it falls on deaf ears.

It is very frustrating especially as the test strips and lancets are expensive especially when you are on a budget as we are.

I know exactly how you feel and i am behind you one hundred percent, so i think i will indeed be contacting my local mp

good luck angie

just a thought recycle queen... could your epiletic consultant prescibe the strips and lancets or write to your gp recommending they prescribe ... might just help...

...I know exactly how you feel and i am behind you one hundred percent, so i think i will indeed be contacting my local mp

good luck angie

Angie, you must! This is scandalous, and even more so when you have accompanying conditions that you need to find the cause of. These people would not hesitate to precribe if it was someone close to them, or indeed themselves. I am disgusted.😡

I hope to draft out a letter to my local MP this coming week, i've got nothing to lose but i agree with you all that testing is very important in control. Testing and carb counting has taught me what i can eat and how much of it. I am seeing my DN on tuesday and i will mention it again about the strips and will take my little log book with me so that i can show her my readings. If i hadn't come across this site i would have taken my DN's advice and just used urine sticks but they are not accurate enough.

I hope to draft out a letter to my local MP this coming week, i've got nothing to lose but i agree with you all that testing is very important in control. Testing and carb counting has taught me what i can eat and how much of it. I am seeing my DN on tuesday and i will mention it again about the strips and will take my little log book with me so that i can show her my readings. If i hadn't come across this site i would have taken my DN's advice and just used urine sticks but they are not accurate enough.

Diabetes Uk ran a great campaign on T2 testing a couple of years ago. Thye had a facility where you just popped your postcode in and letters went off to your Mp, MEP and Chair of your local PCT. I tried at there was a flurry of activity between them all. My MP took it very seriously and prodded all concerned. I don't think that campaign is sstill running but the template letters might still exist.
Don't forget to quote NICE guidelines on T2 testing - they are ambivalent but vaguely pro testing for T2s. Diabetes UK will also have a position statement on it.
There is also some research findings showing benefit for it which counter the usually quoted anti-research by Farmer et al.

And of course there is your MEP as well - you have rights to health and good healthcare as a Citizen of Europe. The ill-fated European Constitution which was shot down by the French in 2005 had strong words about access to the health care you needed without any kind of discrimination etc. Presumably some of that has been incorporated into the Lisbon Treaty which replaced it.

You could also quote the response from the Health Dept. to Patti's petition of a couple of years ago ...
"There is no Government policy restricting the supply of blood glucose testing strips to people with diabetes. .... NICE advised that in Type 2 diabetes, self-monitoring of blood glucose has not been shown to have a significant impact on long term blood glucose control (HbA1c levels), decreased body weight, reduced incidence of hypoglycaemia or improved health-related quality of life. Some PCTs have taken this to mean that home blood glucose monitoring is not indicated, and have discouraged the prescription of the blood testing strips used in monitors.

However, the NICE guidelines go on to stress that there are benefits from self-monitoring programmes, particularly as part of an integrated self-help package and this is central to the National Service Framework for Diabetes.
A message reinforcing this advice was circulated through the Medical Directors, Chief Nursing Officers and GP Bulletins in February 2005.

Any PCT which is automatically discouraging the prescription of blood glucose testing strips is not acting in accordance with NICE's advice that self-monitoring may prove useful to people in their overall approach to self-care."

test strip whinge

I'm the same, the diabetes team at the hospital (who i went to see at my last freak out) told me i was only to test if i was ill (and i'd been feeling odd, but apprently not odd enough...), i was only gonna get 50 strips a year to use if i was ill. I haven't even mentioned this to my GP, but if anybody asks me how often i test i pointedly say "i don't". I wouldn't mind quite so much if my HBA1c was taken more than once a year. And at the same time nobody expects me to get complacent! How am i supposed to be motivated to eat healthily and keep my blood sugar low if the only indicator i have is my notoriously insensitive bathroom scales? I think that from my point of view, having access to more test strips would not only satisfy my curiosity about what my blood sugar does all day ( for example would it be better if i took my metformin at breakfast, lunch or dinner? Why does melon in particular send the figures stratospheric?), but also help me have some sort of idea how my diet/lifestyle was doing, and encourage me to stick with it.
I'm not sure about writing to my MP, coz he or she is probably more worried about keeping his/her job at the moment.

Rachel

Your GP surgery/PCT/Health Board appears to be taking a very short-sighted approach to this. How many ?millions does treatment of diabetic-related renal failure, gangrene, blindness, stroke and MI cost the NHS every year? These are all well documented outcomes of consistantly high blood glucose.
And yes, some nurses can prescribe. I am a nurse prescriber myself.

Eeeh Carina, join the club.

I really need to go bother my GP and see if he will prescribe them for me, I'll use Peter's quote (would be handy to have a link to the original if poss - the part about the NICE guidelines).

While they may be happy for my blood glucose levels to be unmonitored for 6 months, I've already got background retinopathy within the first few months of being diabetic, and I'm not happy to wait 6 months to find out whether the diet is working or not while it might be making that worse, I dont particularly want to go blind you see.

And if they DO want me to wait, the least they can do is give me more comprehensive diet advice or a referral to a dietician, because handing me a diet leaflet than contradicts the other advice given to me or read in NHS diabetes books isn't enough.

Grrr - bring it on! (Peter, where's those boxing gloves?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back