Not Able To Exercise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lynne888

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I've been reading lots of comments on posts about the importance of exercise in helping to reverse diabetes and I just wondered if anyone had managed to do it without being able to exercise? I'm not able to exercise due to both knees needing replacing and having very little mobility. I also have degenerative disc disease. I am in pain all the time so it's not a matter of 'putting up with the discomfort'. I do a bit of chair yoga and I have arm weights, but I won't lie, the exercise is very small. I'm losing weight. I've lost a stone and a half so far. I need to lose far more. I'm worried that weight loss will not be enough to help to reduce my hba1c and I feel worried about it since reading others stories about feeling that exercise is the thing that has helped most with putting diabetes into remission. I hope I'm able to do it with just weight loss so it would be great to hear from anyone who has been unable to exercise (or do much exercise) but still managed to make a big difference. I also find that very little movement sends my heart rate over 100 - generally around 120. I know it was hot yesterday but my heart was constantly in cardio even if I was just walking to the kitchen! I guess this is the effects of no exercise and weight gain over the years. I'm hoping that weight loss will help lower my heart rate. Most of the day its fine but I don't have to do much at all to make it start racing. I have recently been on a 48 hour heart monitor and doctor didn't seem too concerned with results. All in all with the horrible feeling of a racing heart and the lack of exercise I'm feeling fed up and only hope I can change things for myself!

Hello Lynne,
wow well done on your weight loss that's a fantastic achievement 🙂 Losing the weight will def help you no end it wont be overnight though, then Rome wasn't built in a day was it?
Just a suggestion for you re the exercise do you like water, if you do perhaps contact your GP practice and see if there are any mobility exercise classes run at your nearest swimming pool as you wont need to weight bare on your poorly joints.

Hello Lynne,
wow well done on your weight loss that's a fantastic achievement 🙂 Losing the weight will def help you no end it wont be overnight though, then Rome wasn't built in a day was it?
Just a suggestion for you re the exercise do you like water, if you do perhaps contact your GP practice and see if there are any mobility exercise classes run at your nearest swimming pool as you wont need to weight bare on your poorly joints.
I live within walking distance to the sea (well, if I could walk!). I keep saying I will go in when I’ve lost more weight. I’m too embarrassed at the moment but it’s something I plan on doing!

I live within walking distance to the sea (well, if I could walk!). I keep saying I will go in when I’ve lost more weight. I’m too embarrassed at the moment but it’s something I plan on doing!
I understand that “embarrassment factor” thinking but really nobody else actually gives a damn about what others look like when they’re exercising.
I’m quite well insulated/under height for my weight and worried that people would mock when I was out jogging but really they don’t.

You’ve done brilliantly to drop weight so whatever you’re doing is working so keep it up! And when you feel able to then yes head to the sea and swim a bit! Or head to a pool of that’s where you’re more confident!

I twisted my knee on some loose round stones, so I have bought a mobility scooter, second hand in need of new batteries - it is a great help and I am sure my knee appreciated the reduced strain as it has not twinged for a day or so.
As you are not being immobile I'd not worry about the lack of formal exercise. Just getting your metabolism back into balance should help with that - and then weightloss might just happen. I have lost loads of weight without even trying - not even thinking about it, except just now when I had to adjust the safety pins holding things together. I have to do some more making or altering, but I just can't be doing with that in the heat.
People seem to equate the diabetes with the naughty gain of weight - but I think it is far more probably that the weight gain is the way that the body tries to control the high glucose levels. Keeping the glucose levels down to normal causes a cascade of good things, including a return to normal weight - or at least heading in that direction

I twisted my knee on some loose round stones, so I have bought a mobility scooter, second hand in need of new batteries - it is a great help and I am sure my knee appreciated the reduced strain as it has not twinged for a day or so.
As you are not being immobile I'd not worry about the lack of formal exercise. Just getting your metabolism back into balance should help with that - and then weightloss might just happen. I have lost loads of weight without even trying - not even thinking about it, except just now when I had to adjust the safety pins holding things together. I have to do some more making or altering, but I just can't be doing with that in the heat.
People seem to equate the diabetes with the naughty gain of weight - but I think it is far more probably that the weight gain is the way that the body tries to control the high glucose levels. Keeping the glucose levels down to normal causes a cascade of good things, including a return to normal weight - or at least heading in that direction
I too bought a mobility scooter.. last year in fact, but I have felt embarrassed to use it..I think being overweight makes me think that people feel I'm fat enough to be on wheels! 😛 I've been to the country park this past few weeks using it and I've thoroughly enjoyed it so maybe I'm making a bit of progress there! I'm losing weight. I'm trying hard to before my next hba1c in 5 weeks. I just hope it's enough as I have been reading on here that people have stopped exercising so much and their hba1c has gone up.. that's why I wondered if anyone had managed to bring down their hba1c without much exercise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back