Normality!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

glodee

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
Hoping for some advice here! I started insulin about 5 weeks ago. Have really struggled to get a balance with numbers and I'm wondering if anyone can tell me how long it usually takes to stabilise?
I'll admit, the first 4 weeks were dreadful - numbers in the 20's and I felt so tired & drained. They had been creeping up on medications, but those numbers were nothing like the hi's I experienced on insulin.
I've had great numbers for the past two days, been braver with decisions about how much apidra to take! My basal seems ok, as I've been between 4 - 5 fasting for the last few days. The high numbers seem to be related to making poor decisions about eating, wow, what a surprise.
The question really is how long it took you to get within normal range when started on insulin?

Although I didn't experience the sort of problems you have been having, I would say it took me around 6 months to get to grips properly with dose estimating. I noticed that I started getting fewer lows and highs, so my HbA1c became a better reflection of stable levels. It will get better! 🙂

it took me a while (and i think that everyone would agree that no matter how long you do this for, you are constantly learning) to get a good grip on numbers when i first went onto multiple daily injections. you will slowly learn the way your body responds to different foods and insulin.

good luck 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back