Normal weight & Pre-Diabetic!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue-16

Relationship to Diabetes
At risk of diabetes
Hi All,

Late last year I found out I was at risk of developing Diabetes - diagnosed as being Pre-Diabetic. This was due to my blood sugar being higher then the norm but not in the diabetic range! I was very surprised at this - as think I eat a healthy diet, have a healthy weight & my BMI is in the healthy range! Having said that what I weigh is increasing & so is my BMI! I also think that my wasit measurement is okay too - however in the 'high range of normal'!

So what I want to know is - is it possible to a healthy weight, BMI, eat a healthy diet & do some physical exercise & still be Pre-Diabetic? If so, why? I must admit that most of weight is around my middle unfortunately!

Blue-16
(Susan)

Hi All,

Late last year I found out I was at risk of developing Diabetes - diagnosed as being Pre-Diabetic. This was due to my blood sugar being higher then the norm but not in the diabetic range! I was very surprised at this - as think I eat a healthy diet, have a healthy weight & my BMI is in the healthy range! Having said that what I weigh is increasing & so is my BMI! I also think that my wasit measurement is okay too - however in the 'high range of normal'!

So what I want to know is - is it possible to a healthy weight, BMI, eat a healthy diet & do some physical exercise & still be Pre-Diabetic? If so, why? I must admit that most of weight is around my middle unfortunately!

Blue-16
(Susan)
Absolutely possible.

We have some people who are referred to as Thin Outside Fat Inside (TOFI) diabetics. If you have a predisposition to put on weight around your middle then you may be storing excess fat in and around your liver and pancreas and this can lead to decreased function and an inability to balance your Blood Glucose levels as effectively as they should. It is however also possible to get a prediabetic reading if, for example, you are anaemic.

Unfortunately a healthy diet as described by many is just too high in carbs for some to eat and be healthy.
I had the dark skin on my neck which warns of diabetes when I was eating school dinners as a teenager.

Hi All,

Blue-16
(Susan)
Yep, i have a BMI of 22 and a waist measurement of 28 (half my height), very active and healthy diet and I’m D2. My diabetic Nurse says I’m just unlucky (genetics) Trying my best to reverse it with intermittent fasting.

Hi @Blue-16 Love your profile name

I thought I had a reasonably healthy diet but once I learned about the different food types and started to read the labels and understand the ingredients I realised it wasn’t as healthy as I thought. Also exercise plays a part. Unless you keep a weekly record of what you do we probably all think we exercise more than we do.

So absolutely you could have a perfect BMI and still be diabetic.

Hi All,

Blue-16
(Susan)

Yes, it happens - I know someone who developed T2 when they were thin and young. (No insulin resistance, but just stopped producing enough insulin to keep blood sugar down. Tests for T1 were negative, so the doctors have no idea why, apart from a hypothesis that a virus may have caused it.)

Happened to me, more or less. BMI about 25, reasonably active, reasonably healthy eating, developed T2D, zapped it by losing weight. Not thst uncommon - maybe 10% - 15% of T2D's are similar to me.

Genes to blame, probly, but in my case I'm pretty sure smoking many, many ciggies per day for many, many years would have been a factor also.

Similar to @Eddy Edson. Lost a little weight but biggest effect was reducing carb intake and second biggest, medication. Can't blame ciggies, never smoked.

Regulars will be familiar with my hobby horse regarding dumping everyone who has a glucose control problem that is not blindingly obviously the autoimmune condition called T1, into a box called T2. It might be convenient as far as the medics are concerned but it does not reflect the range of possible root causes of poor blood glucose control and the resultant treatment of choice for any particular individual.

PS... this bundling also leads much of the debate and sometimes the discord seen on this forum!

Hi All,

Blue-16
(Susan)
Hi All,

Blue-16
(Susan)
Hi,

Alas the answer is yes. I am not overweight, healthy bmi. But having both parents late onset Diabetes. It was always to be a matter of when rather than if. Sigh

Yes entirely possible as others have said. And perhaps part of the 'umbrella term' nature of T2 which seemingly encompasses multiple different types of non-autoimmune diabetes.

I am still hoping there will be a grand 'renaming' ceremony to make things much clearer, but alas I'm not holding my breath 🙂

This from 10 years ago makes a suggestion:

Several specific causes of hyperglycemia are hidden behind the clinical diagnosis of type 2 diabetes," Dr. Henning Beck-Nielsen said at the annual meeting of the European Association for the Study of Diabetes.

"Patients with type 2 diabetes can be divided into three basic pathophysiologic phenotypes: classic type 2 diabetes, insulinopenic type 2 diabetes, and hyperinsulinemic type 2 diabetes."

In software terms I wonder if that would become Type 2.01, Type 2.02, and Type 2.03 :D

Yes entirely possible as others have said. And perhaps part of the 'umbrella term' nature of T2 which seemingly encompasses multiple different types of non-autoimmune diabetes.

I am still hoping there will be a grand 'renaming' ceremony to make things much clearer, but alas I'm not holding my breath 🙂

This from 10 years ago makes a suggestion:

Several specific causes of hyperglycemia are hidden behind the clinical diagnosis of type 2 diabetes," Dr. Henning Beck-Nielsen said at the annual meeting of the European Association for the Study of Diabetes.

"Patients with type 2 diabetes can be divided into three basic pathophysiologic phenotypes: classic type 2 diabetes, insulinopenic type 2 diabetes, and hyperinsulinemic type 2 diabetes."

In software terms I wonder if that would become Type 2.01, Type 2.02, and Type 2.03 :D

I found this research after my last check up, when I told the nurse I was surprised my hba1c came down so quickly after losing weight and changing lifestyle. She mentioned something like this type of categorisation, so I did some googling and came across it.

Hi All,

Thanks for everyone whom gave me all the information. Having it gives me more understanding of T2D. And the reason I' at risk of developing it!

Blue-16!
(Susan)

Hi All!

After a few days of decision making I decided to visit my GP's website & found that if I wanted to make an appointment with them it most likely be in a few weeks time. I know I could of ask the details of my blood sugar test over the phone but, I decided to instead do an E-Consult, which I did today. I should hopefully get the results by 16/03/2023 by 6:30pm at the latest. Hoping I do! Will let you all know what my result is when I get it!

Blue-16
(Susan)

Hi All,

Blue-16
(Susan)
Genes. A humourous saying goes, 'If you're a Type 2 Diabetic you made a poor choice of grandparents '

Yep, i have a BMI of 22 and a waist measurement of 28 (half my height), very active and healthy diet and I’m D2. My diabetic Nurse says I’m just unlucky (genetics) Trying my best to reverse it with intermittent fasting.

Hi All!

I'm trying to figure out the correct waist measurement for my height! Can anyone give me the formula & is the measurements done in metric or inches?

Blue-16
(Susan)

Hi All!

I'm trying to figure out the correct waist measurement for my height! Can anyone give me the formula & is the measurements done in metric or inches?

Blue-16
(Susan)
If you Google it you seem to get a few different answers as it also can depend on age. In general they say less than half your height.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back