Normal BG readings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vicsetter

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
In case anyone doesn't know (there was some mention of it on a previous thread but I couldn't find it). Readings for a 'Normal' Person are:

Before Breakfast: 3.9-5.8
Before Lunch: 3.9-6.1
1 hrs Post Meal: 8.9 or less
2hrs Post Meal: 6.7 or more?
Between 2-4 pm: 3.9 or more (don't know what happens between 2 and 4 for this reading)

Where did those numbers come from?

Source: Krall, L.P., and Beaser, R.S.: Joslin Diabetes Manual.
Philadelphia: Lea and Febiger (1989), 138.

According to the CareSens N meter owners booklet

Joslin update their figures quite regularly so I don't know why they are quoting 21 year old stats.

Joslin's 2007 "normal" numbers are:
Fasting: < 5.5
2 hour post-prandial: < 7.8
Bedtime < 6.7
A1c < 6%

Source: http://www.joslin.harvard.edu/docs/Pharm_Guideline_Graded.pdf

Also worth noting is this footnote:
"The true goal of care is to bring A1C as close to normal as safely possible. [1C] A goal of < 7% is chosen as a practical level for most patients using medications that may cause hypoglycemia to avoid the risk of that complication. Achieving normal blood glucose is recommended if it can be done practically and safely. [1B]"

The reason for the 6% is that the DCCT study identified 6% as being the upper limit of non-diabetics. The risk curve for complications including heart disease rises sharply after the A1c goes above 6.5 which is why many bodies now recommend that diabetics should target under 6.5.

The bedtime reading is irrelevant for T2s who are not on insulin unless they are taking sulf drugs at very odd times.

I would personally look for under 7.8 at ONE hour, not two. Again, two hour readings are useful for insulin users in terms of corrections but theres no real meaning behind a 2 hour test for a T2 not on insulin and there doesnt seem to be any reason for that advice to be given to non injectors.

Also, it appears from a lot of the more recent studies that its the peaks that do the damage and that this may be far more important than the A1c in judging long term complication risk. A1c is useful when applied to mass populations, but when looking at an individual, the peaks seem to be what counts.

I'd still rather point T2s at the targets in Jennifer's Advice, although they are slightly out of date:
http://diabetesforum.org.uk/jennifers-advice

Hope thats useful.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back