Noob with type 3c after cancer

Status
Not open for further replies.

drjulieg

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 3c
Hi to you all!

I had a distal pancreatectomy to remove a malignant neuroendocrine tumor in 2020. Within less than a year, I needed to start on large doses of Creon to be able to digest my food. My A1C has remained 0.1 below the threshold for diabetes, but my doc decided to start me on Jardience to hopefully keep my level from crossing the threshold.

So far, the differences I've noticed are more frequent urination and passing gas. He isn't having me monitor my blood sugar, so I guess I need to wait for my next blood draw to see if it's helping.

I'd love to talk with anyone else who has type 3c and learn about your experiences. Thanks!

Hi @drjulieg and welcome to the forum. We have some (quite chatty) T3c's so I am sure you will get some feedback.

I see you are posting from the US. No problem, diabetes is diabetes no matter where you live. I only point it out because treatment protocols vary from country to country and it is useful for our mostly UK based membership to be aware of it when they are replying.

Welcome to the forum @drjulieg

I will flag @eggyg who is one of our members with Type 3c.
It sounds like you have the support that you need to keep a check on your levels, although you might choose to keep a watch on your levels with finger pricks, depending on how often your HbA1c is going to be done. Your frequent urination could be an indication of higher Bg levels.

Whatever questions arise, just ask. There is plenty of experience to tap into.

Welcome to the forum @drjulieg

Glad you have joined us 🙂

Jardiance / Empagliflozin is one of the SGLT-2 class of diabetes meds, which encourages the body to excrete excess glucose in the urine, which could explain the increased frequency of needing the toilet.

Make sue you keep yourself well hydrated.

@Proud to be erratic @soupdragon and @Hepato-pancreato are other Type 3cs on the forum who may have experiences to share.

Hi @drjulieg

I have Type 3c diabetes due to pancreatic damage caused by pancreatitis. I don't have much pancreas left so have been on Creon and insulin from the start.

Any particular questions at the moment?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back