none of the advice works :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrMum

Relationship to Diabetes
At risk of diabetes
Hi, I'm pre diabetic and can't get my HbA1c down. It was 7.8 on waking today.Yet I've followed all the advice- here's the list of things I do, because I am a complete robot about it, and hoping someone can work out where I'm going wrong: BMI is 20.3; I do yoga, swimming and walking; I cut out almost all root veg, fruit and grains though I do eat nuts and beans as vegetarian), don't have carby drinks; occasional 85% chocolate, plenty of high fat dairy, green tea and cider vinegar.....am I just unfortunately diabetic or is there something I'm doing wrong?

Hi, I'm pre diabetic and can't get my HbA1c down. It was 7.8 on waking today.Yet I've followed all the advice- here's the list of things I do, because I am a complete robot about it, and hoping someone can work out where I'm going wrong: BMI is 20.3; I do yoga, swimming and walking; I cut out almost all root veg, fruit and grains though I do eat nuts and beans as vegetarian), don't have carby drinks; occasional 85% chocolate, plenty of high fat dairy, green tea and cider vinegar.....am I just unfortunately diabetic or is there something I'm doing wrong?
Yes, you appear to be confusing the HbA1c ( 12 week average of glycosulated haemoglobin) with the bg testing on a meter. 7.8 sounds like a bg finger prick meter test not an HbA1c. It also might be an example of the Dawn Phenomenon ( glucose is pumped out early doors to get you up and running. It was very useful when were up early chasing mammoths). But given your diet and high activity levels 7.8 does look odd. You might consider asking for tests to see if you are actually a LADA. How were you dxed as 'pre diabetic'?

Even though you are prediabetic you would benefit from using your blood glucose monitor so you can identify what foods might be problematic for your body to tolerate. Testing before and 2 hours after meals will tell you if your meal had too much carbohydrate for you. You would aim for your after meal test to be not more than 2mmol/l higher than before and no more than 8mmol/l
Some people are quite sensitive to pulses and they increase blood glucose by more than you would expect.
Being vegetarian your choices of low carb foods are more limited as meat is off your menu and many veggie meals can be quite carby.
You sound to be having the right sort of foods but sometimes morning levels can be higher for some people.
Do you actually have the HbA1C test result?

Hi Burylancs, what would it mean if I was a LADA? I know that's late onset something something. I got a diagnosis from a general blood screen about 3 years ago.

Hi. You will find more about LADA HERE. Hope this helps.

Even though you are prediabetic you would benefit from using your blood glucose monitor so you can identify what foods might be problematic for your body to tolerate. Testing before and 2 hours after meals will tell you if your meal had too much carbohydrate for you. You would aim for your after meal test to be not more than 2mmol/l higher than before and no more than 8mmol/l
Some people are quite sensitive to pulses and they increase blood glucose by more than you would expect.
Being vegetarian your choices of low carb foods are more limited as meat is off your menu and many veggie meals can be quite carby.
You sound to be having the right sort of foods but sometimes morning levels can be higher for some people.
Do you actually have the HbA1C test result?
Thank you. mostly I spike to more than 8 mmol and that doesn't drop so quickly, which I guess is the problem. But what could I do differently? I am pretty thin- too thin I think!

If you are going from an HbA1C from three years ago which identified you as prediabetic and you are now getting morning readings of 7.8 which I assume is typical not just a one off then it could be that your HbA1C if done now would have changed. If you suspect a problem then you should ask for a new test.

Thank you. mostly I spike to more than 8 mmol and that doesn't drop so quickly, which I guess is the problem. But what could I do differently? I am pretty thin- too thin I think!
It would be useful for you to keep a food diary noting everything you eat and drink and try to estimate the TOTAL carbohydrate along side your before and 2 hours post meal readings.
If you are finding they are more than the 2mmol/l increase that is suggesting the meal is too carb heavy, so you will either need to reduce your portion of the carb component or cut it out or make some substitution.
If you don't want to lose weight then increasing healthy fats and protein to compensate for the reduction in carbs.
But It is important to get an up to date HbA1C as if it is still in the prediabetic range I don't know if Type 1 or LADA would still be a possibility.

Hi. You will find more about LADA HERE. Hope this helps.
If you are going from an HbA1C from three years ago which identified you as prediabetic and you are now getting morning readings of 7.8 which I assume is typical not just a one off then it could be that your HbA1C if done now would have changed. If you suspect a problem then you should ask for a new test.
Thanks, good advice all round. I really appreciate it.

It would be useful for you to keep a food diary noting everything you eat and drink and try to estimate the TOTAL carbohydrate along side your before and 2 hours post meal readings.
If you are finding they are more than the 2mmol/l increase that is suggesting the meal is too carb heavy, so you will either need to reduce your portion of the carb component or cut it out or make some substitution.
If you don't want to lose weight then increasing healthy fats and protein to compensate for the reduction in carbs.
But It is important to get an up to date HbA1C as if it is still in the prediabetic range I don't know if Type 1 or LADA would still be a possibility.
Right, I will start a food diary.

Well, ask for a new HbA1c test. With the 8s you might have moved on to Type 2 Diabetes. Testing two hours after a meal tells you if your second phase of insulin secretion has returned you to acceptable levels. Some scientists suggest pre-diabetics should start injecting insulin in order to rest the beta cells, which are currently thrashing themselves to death trying to keep control of your bgs. Type 2 is usually dxed when 50% of the beta cells have gone.

Well, ask for a new HbA1c test. With the 8s you might have moved on to Type 2 Diabetes. Testing two hours after a meal tells you if your second phase of insulin secretion has returned you to acceptable levels. Some scientists suggest pre-diabetics should start injecting insulin in order to rest the beta cells, which are currently thrashing themselves to death trying to keep control of your bgs. Type 2 is usually dxed when 50% of the beta cells have gone.
OK, I'll do that. Thank you for the advice.

Hi Burylancs, what would it mean if I was a LADA? I know that's late onset something something. I got a diagnosis from a general blood screen about 3 years ago.
Since being dxed with pre diabetes has your medical team kept you under review ? Such as annual checks and annual HbA1cs ? I forgot to mention two morning fasting bgs over 7 with symptoms e.g. drinking or peeing a lot, are diagnostic of Type 2 Diabetes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back