non sugar medicines

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pookie

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Can anyone advise me please? Before being diagnosed Type 2 I used to take a fizzy vitamin c tablet drink each day to ward off colds. The one I took is full of sugar. Anyone know a good make that is diabetes-friendly? Also sore throat pastilles and cough medicine? I have a really heavy cold/cough and would love to find something I can take to relieve it.... The ingredients lists all sound sugary to me!

Can anyone advise me please? Before being diagnosed Type 2 I used to take a fizzy vitamin c tablet drink each day to ward off colds. The one I took is full of sugar. Anyone know a good make that is diabetes-friendly? Also sore throat pastilles and cough medicine? I have a really heavy cold/cough and would love to find something I can take to relieve it.... The ingredients lists all sound sugary to me!
Strepcils have sugarfree lozenges, and there are plenty of sugarfree linctuses. Vitimin C as a tablet or effervescent drink are available as well.

I just take normal remedies, and choose the sugar free option for lozenges if needed. A spoonful of cough medicine even if it has sugar in it isn’t going to have that much sugar as it doesn’t weigh much

Most of the Vitamin C effervescent tablets are sugar-free @Pookie I use the Boots one or one from Tesco. They have artificial sweeteners in.

Strepsils come in a sugar-free version and there are sugar-free Mentholyptus sweets and similar. For cough medicine, there used to be a diabetic one that you had to ask for at the pharmacy counter. It tasted like tarmac/creosote. Now I just use a normal cough medicine. Many are now sugar-free anyway. For colds I use Night Nurse tablets/capsules - no sugar in those obviously.

Though eg Benylin etc are full of sugar - it's not like anyone drinks half a bottle at a time of it. Therefore - don't worry about it.

I bought the sugar free strepsils once. They were OK, but it’s the old ‘sugar alcohol’ stomach upset / laxative / wind challenge again.

Plus they came in a much bigger box, which then ran out of date by the time I next needed them.

Since then I’ve used Fishermans Friends with little impact. Plus a cold usually mangles my BGs a bit anyway, so I worry less about a lozenge as I’m taking more insulin anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back