Non diabetic serious hypos

Status
Not open for further replies.

SilentAssassin1642

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Just been chatting with a friend of mine on facebook. She's having a lot of very very nasty hypo's. She's not diabetic. Apparently the doctor has come to the conclusion that she is producing way too much insulin and is way too sensitive to the insulin that her body does produce.

Is this common?

Her doctor has basically just told her to record a food diary and hypo symptoms, nothing else. I suggested that she picks up a glucose monitor just to see how bad she's getting, but this could work out very expensive for her.

Any ideas on what else she could do?

She might like to look into the possibility that she has reactive hypoglycaemia. As I understand it, certain foods can cause an over-reaction of the pancreas causing too much insulin to be produced and causing the low.

That's all I know about it I'm afraid!

the human body is a very very strange thing.
I know for a fact that she doesn't eat very well at all...sort of stuff that would cause a serous high in us if we got the injections muddled...pie, pizza, cheesy stuff etc.
Something for her to look into, definitely :D

I've offered to send her my old accuchek advantage with its spare strips and finger pricker. I've got tons of spare stuff for it and I really can't bare the thought of her having to fork out so much money to get hold of strips etc!

If people have had recorded hypo's then they sometimes do a glucose tolerence test to find if there is any reactive hypoglyceamia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back