No toast for me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kathy s

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Good afternoon, 1st day of using finger prick machine ( did a few tests yesterday to practise) I'm doing this for me so I know what I can eat and what I should avoid! My waking reading was 7.3 , is this normal for T2 ? 2 hours after 2 slices of brown seeded toast spread with marg it read 11.0! I've been having Greek yogurt and berries since diagnosis but haven't shopped yet so have ran out, will be interesting to check levels after that!

You could try making some low carb bread - I find that rolls are the best option, in a mixer at first but the rise is quite delicate and is knocked flat by a bread making machine so a single kneading and then dividing up and rising on the tray they will be baked on works best.
There are various recipes on the web, and I get some of the ingredients mail order, and I avoid the ones which are high in eggs as they taste more like scrambled eggs than bread. I use wheat gluten and yeast in my recipes.

Good afternoon, 1st day of using finger prick machine ( did a few tests yesterday to practise) I'm doing this for me so I know what I can eat and what I should avoid! My waking reading was 7.3 , is this normal for T2 ? 2 hours after 2 slices of brown seeded toast spread with marg it read 11.0! I've been having Greek yogurt and berries since diagnosis but haven't shopped yet so have ran out, will be interesting to check levels after that!

> 7 fasting is indication of T2 diabetes, so pretty 'normal' for a T2 diabetic. Although given the range of the meter accuracy the real value could be somewhere in the sixes or even up in the high 7s.

One slice with a scrambled egg might have given you less for an increase and added some protein.

As per your previous thread, fasting/pre-meal should ideally be 4-7, so given how early you are into diagnosis, 7.3 isn't too bad.

I'd recommend repeating the test, possibly substituting butter for the margarine as the full fat in butter may slow the rise. In any case it's worth repeating due to the limits of meter accuracy as alluded to above. If you experience the same rise then switching to a single slice with maybe a poached egg or avocado could be an alternative to no toast at all.

I had 2 slices of cheese on wholemeal toast yesterday as I had also ran out of berries for my Greek yoghurt. My reading went from 6.8 to 10.3. I had bacon, 2 fried eggs, mushrooms, a few beans and one slice of toast today and went from 5.8 to 7.8. It is a case of trial and error. Next time I will have one slice of toast and some plain yoghurt if I run out of berries. I used to eat toast every morning for breakfast, then switched to porridge, not realising that was also raising BG level. I have greatly reduced carbs, but am not actively counting them. As for waking reading, mine is always higher in the morning than later on in the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back