No symptoms to hypo?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

donnamarie

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Been baking today.......yummy, so decided to have a slice of cake. Tested as I was getting ready to have a few units and i tested at 2.7. Normally at that level have have symptoms but not a thing. This is worrying me. :(

But looking on bright side I could eat cake and not inject!!!

It's happened to me a few times, donnamarie - I think how you feel has a lot to do with how quickly the levels are falling. As you say, a mixture of reactions - nice to indulge without having had the sweats and shakes, but worrying that it could get so low without you noticing! 😱

dont worry it does happen, it is horrid. I think northener is right you would get the systoms your levels must have to dropped quickly for your body to shown any signs.

x

I think sometimes we get so engrosed in things we don't always notice what our bodies are telling us. It would be nice if we had an alarm that told us you are getting low or go to the bathroom or go and have lunch for the times when we are really engrossed in something we enjoy!

I get this alot these days. I woke up at 1.8mmol the other day and felt fine!

It can have a bit to do with how often you dip to those levels. If you have quite a few hypos you can begin to lose warning signs at that level. It seems you can reset the switch by running your levels a little higher than normal and trying to avoid hypos altogether for a week or two (easier said than done!). T2s whose bgs have been higher than normal for some time can get the reverse problem, getting hypo-like symptoms when around the 5s and 6s

this whole business would be so much easier if the target range was 1.5 - 15 !

It can have a bit to do with how often you dip to those levels. If you have quite a few hypos you can begin to lose warning signs at that level. It seems you can reset the switch by running your levels a little higher than normal and trying to avoid hypos altogether for a week or two (easier said than done!). T2s whose bgs have been higher than normal for some time can get the reverse problem, getting hypo-like symptoms when around the 5s and 6s

Haha! Indeed! :D I was just explaining to my doctor yesterday how difficult it can be to let your levels run 'a bit higher' after she suggested my HbA1c was good, and that I could afford to relax my control a bit if I wanted. Most of the time I just eyeball food as it's usually something I've eaten before. Going off my reading, possible activity etc. I then dial up the appropriate dose and usually get it pretty close. The other day my pre-meal readings were 5.5, 5.5, and 5.6! Getting it a bit 'wrong' would just confuse the L out of me! 😱

Yes sometimes it feels like being forced to spend our days walking along the double line in the middle of a busy A road keeping 'safe' by sticking to the line so you don't stray into the traffic on either side.

Oh and you have to do it blindfold. And backwards.

If you are lucky will be allowed to peep out from under the blindfold every so often. Though if you do this more than 4 or 5 times a day your GP will start complaining that you are looking a bit too often, and that they have read a study which suggested this won't help you in the least. And no of course you can't cut little holes in the blindfold. Those CGMS scissors are far too expensive.

Last edited:
I decided that this is a new type of hypo - the Schroedinger Hypo. This is a hypo that only gives symptoms when you see the number on your meter:

http://diabetespoetry.blogspot.com/2010/07/quantum-diabetes-and-schroedingers-hypo.html

:D

Love the poem Northe, another cracker.

Can relate to this, happened to me only once before, in the early days of diagnosis. Had started a new job and had been particular busy, dont know if the different day made me unaware or anything? tested before bed, felt fine, 1.9 😱 almost immediately symptoms started.

Yes sometimes it feels like being forced to spend our days walking along the double line in the middle of a busy A road keeping 'safe' by sticking to the line so you don't stray into the traffic on either side.

If you are lucky will be allowed to peep out from under the blindfold every so often. Though if you do this more than 4 or 5 times a day your GP will start complaining that you are looking a bit too often, and that they have read a study which suggested this won't help you in the least. And no of course you can't cut little holes in the blindfold. Those CGMS scissors are far too expensive.

This is quite possibly the best analogy for trying to manage diabetes I have ever heard! I love it! :D

Randomange is right. That's exactly how it feels.

Awww... Thanks!

I love it - spot on.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back