No Swab As On Antibiotics

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeyBikey

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I have been on Co-trimoxazole for a total of about six weeks with a one week break after Week 1 as someone wrote the wrong duration on the prescription The muggy headache, upset stomach and occasional lightheadedness are really starting to get to me. I wanted to discuss it with the consultant on Wednesday but never arrived! :( At the emergency podiatry session I asked if a swab could be taken but was told there was no point as I was on antibiotics. Is this true? If so how do you know when the infection has cleared? When I saw it I think the silver dressings (apart from week I had MRI) has been more benefit?

Last edited:
I have been on Co-trimoxazole for a total of about six weeks with a one week break after Week 1 as someone wrote the wrong duration on the prescription The muggy headache, upset stomach and occasional lightheadedness are really starting to get to me. I wanted to discuss it with the consultant on Wednesday but never arrived! :( At the emergency podiatry session I asked if a swab could be taken but was told there was no point as I was on antibiotics. Is this true? If so how do you know when the infection has cleared? When I saw it I think the silver dressings (apart from week I had MRI) has been more benefit?
The problem is that a swab of the surface of the skin or the pus may not reveal anything as the pus consists of white blood cells dead or alive, dead tissue, dead or alive bacteria, if the antibiotics are working then no live bacteria will be present so the swab may only reveal your natural skin microflora.
A blood test may be better as high leucocytes would indicate infection.

When I saw the consultant last Wednesday he had a swab taken. I spoke with him today as the side effects from the Co-trimoxazole were worsening and it has been stopped and he is sending out a new prescription. He is seeing me again next Wednesday after poor @Anna DUK went a lot of trouble for me to attend next Wednesday's Research Study. Sadly limb salvage must take priority. Pity is I was looking forward to meeting some members of the DUK team and some members of the forum!

The problem is that a swab of the surface of the skin or the pus may not reveal anything as the pus consists of white blood cells dead or alive, dead tissue, dead or alive bacteria, if the antibiotics are working then no live bacteria will be present so the swab may only reveal your natural skin microflora.
A blood test may be better as high leucocytes would indicate infection.

Before I lost my leg they did a CRP (C-Reactive Protein) blood test. My level was over 200 when below 10 is the norm!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back