No spleen question (again!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

zippyjojo

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 3c
This question is directed to all of you who have no spleen. I'm worrying myself about whether to have my next Covid booster or not. I'm worrying because of the uncertainty around the MRNA type vaccines and the possibility of clots. I also feel very ill informed about the implications on me if I catch Covid. It's a virus so why will not having a spleen make any difference as surely that is to do with bacterial infections? I take my penicillin twice daily and have had all my necessary jabs due to being without a spleen. ANY thoughts/advice would be very much appreciated. I had Covid back in 2020 (when I still had a spleen). My mother-in-law died a few months ago and it was probably a coincidence but it was only a few weeks after her 4th covid jab and she had a nasty clot in her arm (she had had heart surgery 4 years before). Then my brother died only 8 weeks ago and he had a history of blood clots and was on thinners and then had a stroke and eventually a subarachnoid haemorrhage so even though I've been told if I was susceptible to having a clot it would have happened during pregnancy or childbirth I'm definitely worrying myself about it. Sorry to rant and I hope this makes sense. I am very fit and healthy (apart from the obvious) - Thanks in advance, Jo x

Sorry @zippyjojo I’ve just seen this. On my holibobs at the mo.
I’ve just had my fifth jab and never gave it another thought if I’m honest. The fact we’re spleenless puts us in the “extremely vulnerable” pack, even though I really don’t feel even any type of vulnerable. If you’re feeling a wee bit concerned I would speak to your GP or consultant to see if they can put things in perspective for you. Ultimately it’s your decision.

Hi @zippyjojo
I had my spleen removed in June this year and at that stage I had 3 covid vaccines and had caught covid once. Three weeks after having my spleen removed I caught covid a second time and this time it was a lot worse and ended up in hospital for a week thanks to covid.
I have since had my fourth booster and will be having my fifth in December.
I think everyone has to decide for themselves but if you are unsure speak to your gp.

Hi I had my spleen removed at the end of March. I have had the initial two doses and the booster vaccine. I had covid last week and survived! Whilst having covid I did get the email saying I could have the next vaccine.
Being spleenless didn’t make me eligible for the vaccine being diabetic did.

Hi I had my spleen removed at the end of March. I have had the initial two doses and the booster vaccine. I had covid last week and survived! Whilst having covid I did get the email saying I could have the next vaccine.
I think you need to wait 4 weeks after having Covid before you can have the vaccine. I was asked when I went for mine.

Sorry @zippyjojo I’ve just seen this. On my holibobs at the mo.
I’ve just had my fifth jab and never gave it another thought if I’m honest. The fact we’re spleenless puts us in the “extremely vulnerable” pack, even though I really don’t feel even any type of vulnerable. If you’re feeling a wee bit concerned I would speak to your GP or consultant to see if they can put things in perspective for you. Ultimately it’s your decision.
Thank you! Are we really in the extremely vulnerable group? No-one has actually said that to me. I've booked to have it done next Monday 🙂

Hi @zippyjojo
I had my spleen removed in June this year and at that stage I had 3 covid vaccines and had caught covid once. Three weeks after having my spleen removed I caught covid a second time and this time it was a lot worse and ended up in hospital for a week thanks to covid.
I have since had my fourth booster and will be having my fifth in December.
I think everyone has to decide for themselves but if you are unsure speak to your gp.
Thanks Trev - I'm sorry to hear you were so ill with it and that's definitely food for thought. I've actually booked to have the jab next Monday (it will be my 4th). Definitely weighing up the pros and cons it seems worth it and I'll just be vigilant if there are any signs of something suspect going on clot-wise ...

Thanks @Cherrang I see you're a Type 3C like me. Hope everything else went well and that you are recovering well. I can't believe it's nearly a year since my operation - how times flies when you're having fun!

Thank you! Are we really in the extremely vulnerable group? No-one has actually said that to me. I've booked to have it done next Monday 🙂
We weren’t initially when the pandemic started then a month in they changed the goalposts. I didn’t shield, it would have driven me nuts! I was very careful though. Because of that I get my jabs first with the over 80s!

I think it would be really helpful to discuss your concerns with your Dr, particularly in the context of your missing spleen.

This link is from the US

But doesn’t seem to be so worried by the very small level of risk of developing clots, as it is with the potential impact of Covid itself.

I had my covid booster this afternoon 😳

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back