No Sensation or Reduced Sensation

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeyBikey

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
A few weeks ago I saw a consultant and he concluded I have no sensation from midway between the knee and ankle downwards. In the same week I had a podiatry visit and the podiatrist said I had, like many long term or poorly controlled diabetics, reduced sensation. I agree with the podiatrist but not the consultant. He however has written to my GP saying I have no sensation. Do you think I should contact my GP contradicting this or will it be seen as nit picking?

A few weeks ago I saw a consultant and he concluded I have no sensation from midway between the knee and ankle downwards. In the same week I had a podiatry visit and the podiatrist said I had, like many long term or poorly controlled diabetics, reduced sensation. I agree with the podiatrist but not the consultant. He however has written to my GP saying I have no sensation. Do you think I should contact my GP contradicting this or will it be seen as nit picking?
Hi Mikey

I am not sure what you mean by nit picking as arent they both saying the same thing but in a different way. Loss of sensation from the knee and ankle and also loss of sensation in the foot due to poorly controlled diabetes, is it the fact your GP didnt link it to your diabetes or do you dispute the loss of sensation below your knee and its just in your feet? Apologies if I have misunderstood, still early for me and I need coffee to wake up 🙂

If you think there’s an issue, then say something @MikeyBikey At worst, they’ll simply explain why the ‘no sensation’ was said. If you don’t want to speak to them just about this one thing, then wait till a routine appointment or phone call and mention it.

I think it’s worth asking the question at least @MikeyBikey

For example, if you lost some of the remaining sensation in that part of you lower legs by your next appointment, how could it be recorded?

Hi Mikey

I am not sure what you mean by nit picking as arent they both saying the same thing but in a different way. Loss of sensation from the knee and ankle and also loss of sensation in the foot due to poorly controlled diabetes, is it the fact your GP didnt link it to your diabetes or do you dispute the loss of sensation below your knee and its just in your feet? Apologies if I have misunderstood, still early for me and I need coffee to wake up 🙂

No, not really! If at the end of the week you got a reduced wage packet compared to the week before you would be far from happy but if you received nothing you would be livid! (anger emoji). As @everydayupsanddowns has said you cannot record any deterioration from nil!

I accept at times I was probably pooy controlled particularily in the early days of urine tests, thick long needles and some quite bizarre (in hindsight) insulins but it was what it was in the sixties/seventies/early eighties. My first indications of circulation problems was in the nineties when I was already three decades in.

No, not really! If at the end of the week you got a reduced wage packet compared to the week before you would be far from happy but if you received nothing you would be livid! (anger emoji). As @everydayupsanddowns has said you cannot record any deterioration from nil!

I accept at times I was probably pooy controlled particularily in the early days of urine tests, thick long needles and some quite bizarre (in hindsight) insulins but it was what it was in the sixties/seventies/early eighties. My first indications of circulation problems was in the nineties when I was already three decades in.
Yeah I would raise it with my gp. The difference definitely matters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back