No honey!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kathy s

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I'm struggling with a sore throat, I'd usually turn straight to honey lemon and hot water but not I'm T2 the honey option isn't best, what do you use instead?

I usually use throat lozenges for a sore throat

@kathy s - I've removed the duplicate, and in answer to your question I am known to use lemon and hot water - just leave out the honey!

My mum swears by gargling with a soluble aspirin but I don’t get many sore throat’s so I’ve no idea if it actually works personally.

Whisky and hot water is good 🙂 You can also get sugar-free ice pops to freeze and suck. They help a lot.

My mum swears by gargling with a soluble aspirin but I don’t get many sore throat’s so I’ve no idea if it actually works personally.
Yes that definitely works - I had tonsillitis once and gargling with soluble aspirin was the only thing that touched it. It‘s pretty disgusting to do, but will properly kill the pain for a few hours.

My thinking when I have a cold is that my BG levels are likely to be elevated anyway*

A teaspoon of honey is likely to weigh about 5g. Even if we assume that is ALL rapid carbs, it still only totals 5g - which wouldn’t trouble my levels over-much. As long as I’m only doing that once a day (say in the evening with a little whisky anaesthetic added) I have stuck with the honey despite its sugariness.

* Of course you may decide that this means it’s the very last time you’d want to add extra carbs and mess with things even more!

They sell sugar free Strepsils which might help. They do contain Maltilol Syrup and Isomaltitol though which some may not like.

I don't worry about hypos ( maybe wrongly so) as my hba1c level was 87 when recently diagnosed, I'm worried about making that figure even higher!

Thank you for all your suggestions, I've actually sneezed less and throat is easing so I think it may well of been a bad hay-fever day!I will be purchasing lozenges and soluble aspirin for future use. Unfortunately I can't stand whiskey- my dad used to make hot toddys with whiskey when I was ill, not fond of it!

They sell sugar free Strepsils which might help. They do contain Maltilol Syrup and Isomaltitol though which some may not like.
I find Strepsils ease a sore throat for about 10 minutes. Not long enough to justify the cost.

@kathy s take care of yourself. The symptoms you describe are exactly what I had before testing positive for covid last month. The covid was not bad - just a sore throat followed by a runny nose - but I still stayed at home to avoid passing it on to someone less healthy.

I find Strepsils ease a sore throat for about 10 minutes. Not long enough to justify the cost.

@kathy s take care of yourself. The symptoms you describe are exactly what I had before testing positive for covid last month. The covid was not bad - just a sore throat followed by a runny nose - but I still stayed at home to avoid passing it on to someone less healthy.
The 1st I did was a covid test, I had it in February for the 2nd time, I work in a school and germs are rife!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back