no help with prescription charges

Status
Not open for further replies.

afraw

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
HI. having just filled out my husbands PPC I was debating doing one for myself. I take a variety of ever changing drugs for high blood pressure which my GP says is entirely caused by my type 2 diabetes- which is diet and exercise controlled. I work hard to keep my diabetes under control like this but apparently because I dont yet need metformin or any thing else ( with the exception being when im pregnant when im on insulin) I have to pay for my BP meds. Seems a bit unfair really.... Tempting to give up the diet, blow the 6am running and let my sugars rise then get metformin and free prescriptions. Obviously I wont do this but some people must be tempted. What do other diet and excercise people think?

hi there afraw and welcome to the forum they has been quite a debate on here regarding paying for scripts, im sure some one can find the threads for you , persoanlly i was started on diet control but only for a month and the meter i got from nurse contaning 25 strips lasted me that month , afterwards i was put on metformin so now i dont pay, I think it is unfair myself as well , can you see your GP and discuss it?

Hi afraw, welcome to the forum🙂 I moved your post to the general messageboard so more people would see it.

It is very unfair that someone who has been diagnosed, but is making efforts to stay off diabetes-specific medication, should therefore be denied free prescriptions for the associated conditions that rquire medication like blood pressure and cholesterol levels. Unfortunately, this is the current situation - and one that is also unfair to people with other chronic conditions like asthma and arthritis, which I believe also have to pay for their prescriptions. I'm sure there are some accountants out there who have calculated that self-preservation instincts will stop people from allowing their levels to get worse so they can get medication and free prescriptions.:(

Agreed it's not fair. The only way you might be able to reduce your financial outlay is by getting a "season ticket" for prescriptions - 3 monthly or yearly.

My dad takes 3 blood pressure medications and a statin and gets a yearly prepaid card and it saves him alot of money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back