No end to learning...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sharron1

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I have a cold, cough and sore throat Not Covid, just a bog standard cold. I have been testing my blood glucose and it was high. Nothing too bad and it is now slowly dropping. Check NHS web. What I didn't realise is this can affect blood glucose. Another piece of D learning. Just wondered does having a cold have a similar influence on non diabetics?

Just wondered does having a cold have a similar influence on non diabetics?
The reason our BG rises when we have a cold is that our liver dumps even more glucose to give our body the energy to fight the lurgy.
Those with a fully working pancreas (people without diabetes) will then release enough insulin to convert the liver dump to energy so are less likely to see their BG rise.
I sometimes find my BG rising before I get ill. I assume this is my body attempting to fight the lurgy as soon as the bacterial, viral, germy nasties arrive before the symptoms start.

Last edited:
The reason our BG rises when we have a cold is that our liver dumps even more glucose to give our body the energy to fight the lurgy.
Those with a fully working pancreas (people without diabetes) will then release enough insulin to convert the liver dump to energy so are less likely to see their BG rise.
I sometimes find my BG rising before I get ill. I assume this is my body attempting to fight the lurgy as soon as the bacterial, viral, germs nasties arrive before the symptoms start.
Ah that makes sense, prior to the cold etc emerging my BH slowly elevated. I thought it was my food but hadn't increased carbs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back