No-deal Brexit could disrupt medicine supplies for 'at least' six months, DHSC admits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
In a letter to the House of Lords EU affairs subcommittee this month, health minister Stephen Hammond said that European transportation routes via Dover and/or Folkstone - upon which medicine manufacturers and suppliers rely - may be ‘subject to a significantly reduced flow of goods for at least six months rather than the previous estimate of six weeks of disruption’.

He added: ‘The possible border delays indicated in the updated planning assumptions would impact any import of medicines, including prescription-only and pharmacy medicines, critical to the continuity of patient care. It would also impact UK manufacturers of medicines that may rely on the import of raw materials from or via the EU. Therefore, we have asked all suppliers to consider their supply routes and whether any re-routing to avoid the short straits is necessary.’

https://www.gponline.com/no-deal-br...-least-six-months-dhsc-admits/article/1525946

(free registration)

My God - a member of Government telling the truth! May have to go and lie in a darkened room …..

In a letter to the House of Lords EU affairs subcommittee this month, health minister Stephen Hammond said that European transportation routes via Dover and/or Folkstone - upon which medicine manufacturers and suppliers rely - may be ‘subject to a significantly reduced flow of goods for at least six months rather than the previous estimate of six weeks of disruption’.

He added: ‘The possible border delays indicated in the updated planning assumptions would impact any import of medicines, including prescription-only and pharmacy medicines, critical to the continuity of patient care. It would also impact UK manufacturers of medicines that may rely on the import of raw materials from or via the EU. Therefore, we have asked all suppliers to consider their supply routes and whether any re-routing to avoid the short straits is necessary.’

https://www.gponline.com/no-deal-br...-least-six-months-dhsc-admits/article/1525946

(free registration)
That is a bit of a contrast to earlier reassurances!!!

This is typical. All this could have been predicted months ago, it can’t have come as surprise. To say the government has been remiss of such planning is an understatement. I don’t know who is to blame for this, but all of us should be worried.

Novo Nordisk apparently are stockpiling at least 4 months worth of supplies and have booked air freight slots on a monthly basis between March and July. Sanofi, I believe are stockpiling about 14 weeks worth and are exploring alternative ferry routes. I suspect Lily will be planning similar arragements.
My concern would not be that here will be no insulin but that people will have to be shifted onto an alternative due to shortages of their usual product (but that's ok innit, it's all insulin .....

My concern would not be that here will be no insulin but that people will have to be shifted onto an alternative due to shortages of their usual product (but that's ok innit, it's all insulin .....

Bet we will always be able to get Insulaturd, Abi ! LOL

(And yes, I do know many a true word is spoken in jest ……. )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back