No creon at wholesaler!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Newfy

Relationship to Diabetes
Other Type
Hi all. I take creon 25000 with anything I eat. But, after I put a repeat prescription in, the delivering pharmacy said there was none at the wholesaler! Then said to me "what will you do?!" I replied "Starve!!". I don't really want to try and eat meals without creon....the effects won't be very....positive, nevermind pleasant!! Anyone else in this situation?? I don't know if there actually is a shortage of Creon, or it's a cost issue between the supplier to the wholesalers or/and the pharmacies!?!! But once again, its us the creon users who cop for it!!

Hi all. I take creon 25000 with anything I eat. But, after I put a repeat prescription in, the delivering pharmacy said there was none at the wholesaler! Then said to me "what will you do?!" I replied "Starve!!". I don't really want to try and eat meals without creon....the effects won't be very....positive, nevermind pleasant!! Anyone else in this situation?? I don't know if there actually is a shortage of Creon, or it's a cost issue between the supplier to the wholesalers or/and the pharmacies!?!! But once again, its us the creon users who cop for it!!

Have you called around other pharamcies? I have ocassionally had a similar problem with a thyroid med I take, where I cannot tolerate a couple of brands - something in their excipients probably.

I did have to get a fresh prescription from my GP, as my usual pharmacy had dispensed the other item on the original.

There was another post about this with the Creon 25000 that I was reading just yesterday and the general consensus is that this is a distribution issue with a particular wholesaler or pharmacy supplier and there is not a shortage as such but just some logistics issue in the supply chain.
I would also suggest you ring round other pharmacies and see if any have it in stock and then ask them to hold it for you whilst you get the prescription from the pharmacy that can't supply it. When there was a genuine shortage of HRT a few years ago, I rang around and managed to locate some, so it is well worth trying. If that fails, go back to your GP or contact your consultant for an alternative. I think someone posted that there are 4 branded PERT medications available, but Creon is by far the most commonly prescribed.

There was another post about this with the Creon 25000 that I was reading just yesterday and the general consensus is that this is a distribution issue with a particular wholesaler or pharmacy supplier and there is not a shortage as such but just some logistics issue in the supply chain.
I would also suggest you ring round other pharmacies and see if any have it in stock and then ask them to hold it for you whilst you get the prescription from the pharmacy that can't supply it. When there was a genuine shortage of HRT a few years ago, I rang around and managed to locate some, so it is well worth trying. If that fails, go back to your GP or contact your consultant for an alternative. I think someone posted that there are 4 branded PERT medications available, but Creon is by far the most commonly prescribed.
The Pancreatic Cancer UK site tells me there still are 4:
The brand names are Creon®, Pancrease®, Nutrizym®, or Pancrex®.

All 4 are broadly similar in chemical content. I think some could be in sifferent capsule content sizes. I found the Pancrease were bigger capsules for the comparable 25k unit contents and had a slightly different taste; I was glad when Creon was restored.

Have you called around other pharamcies? I have ocassionally had a similar problem with a thyroid med I take, where I cannot tolerate a couple of brands - something in their excipients probably.

I did have to get a fresh prescription from my GP, as my usual pharmacy had dispensed the other item on the original.
Hi. Yeh, I've called all the pharmacies in my local area.....no-one has any. 5 days later, my usual pharmacy still don't know when or if they'll get a supply in! I might have 6 or 7 days left of the creon I have, after that....I don't know what to do!!

Hi. Yeh, I've called all the pharmacies in my local area.....no-one has any. 5 days later, my usual pharmacy still don't know when or if they'll get a supply in! I might have 6 or 7 days left of the creon I have, after that....I don't know what to do!!
You must ask your Pharmacy y to identify which of the other 3 types off Pancreatic Enzyme Therapy Treatments they are able to obtain, then ask your Surgery to amend the Prescription request, the pester your Pharmacy to bring the particular PERT in for you.

Those other 3 PERT options are listed in my posting #4 above.

In an ideal world your Pharmacy should have done that "sourcing" for you and in that same ideal world your GP Surgery (or whoever writes the prescription requeat) should have made that amended request for you. But we don't live in an ideal world - and at least from this forum there are often good alternative solutions.

Let us know how you get on but you really are well advised to badger people to get this sorted promptly. Maybe contact your diabetes clinic or consultant's secretary to leave a message to see what options they can suggest too.

I assume you did try lots of different outlets. Sometimes the independent pharmacies are better than the franchises for obtaining stuff, as many of the franchises use the same wholesaler that they are contractually tied in to, whereas an independent can often shop around to source something.

Had to phone today to see whether my prescriptions were ready and, having seen this thread, wasn't surprised that it was Creon causing the hold up. Apparently they have 1 out of the 3 pots I was expecting. They do have the 10 000 available so they are contacting the surgery to change the prescription for the rest. That works better for me than trying to work out the (slightly different) dose with another brand of PERT.
Also quite handy for me as I was aiming to request a supply of 10 000s for snacks.
I appreciate that is not so helpful for people who need larger quantities of Creon.

I went to pick up my prescription yesterday, the pharmacist saw me enter and came over with a broad grin on his face - we have gone through the no availability issue at least twice before. He started by saying the bad news is we will need to owe you 6 pots of your Creon. The good news is that you can take 12 and we'll deliver the other 6 tomorrow afternoon. He said he is maintaining an in store supply which he will replenish when my delayed 18 pots arrived today.

The latest from NCUK who have talked to Mylan is that the wholesaler orders have been received and that these will be fullfilled by 25 August.

I went to pick up my prescription yesterday, the pharmacist saw me enter and came over with a broad grin on his face - we have gone through the no availability issue at least twice before. He started by saying the bad news is we will need to owe you 6 pots of your Creon. The good news is that you can take 12 and we'll deliver the other 6 tomorrow afternoon. He said he is maintaining an in store supply which he will replenish when my delayed 18 pots arrived today.

The latest from NCUK who have talked to Mylan is that the wholesaler orders have been received and that these will be fullfilled by 25 August.
We really need a "phew" emoji to respond to threads like this. Are you able to say which pharmacy you use, in case this is of help to others struggling to acquire Creon? Not the particular branch but if it is a franchise like Lloyds or Tesco for instance so that those struggling have an idea of where to go to source some.

We really need a "phew" emoji to respond to threads like this. Are you able to say which pharmacy you use, in case this is of help to others struggling to acquire Creon? Not the particular branch but if it is a franchise like Lloyds or Tesco for instance so that those struggling have an idea of where to go to source some.
Rowlands.........and around 12 months ago they changed processes so that all prescriptions were bagged up off site. Luckily the main pharmacist applied old fashioned common sense to squirrel away some in store stock. To be honest a one day delay for all 18 tubs wouldn't have bothered me as I have built in a 7 day buffer when submitting my repeat prescription.

Hi Newfy,
Just saw your original post and I had same issue.
Only just been diagnosed with Diabetes so had a flood of prescriptions of insulin/ librefreestyle 2/Finger pricker/ pens/Ketosticks etc plus all appointments etc so not on top of regular Creon supply.Well that us my excuse for running low
Anyway chemist closed Saturday,then told not available and not available from local Boots,
Told would be back in Tuesday but then let down just as I ran out so on Wednesday I asked for alternatives.
None really suggested but my local pharmacist rang around other group pharmacies and could only secure 10000 ( normally use 25000) as a stop gap.
Pestered my GP as needed another prescription and did feel awful as they have been so supportive.
Anyway they rang around other local pharmacy’s and found one had stick of 25000 Creon and arranged for me to collect only a Mike away.
Only a slight delay awaiting new electronic prescription to be sent from GPs but I collected my 3 pots last night.
Have to say I am lucky to have fabulous local healthcare support and they did go extra mile to sort me out.
BW
Wendal

FYI My local pharmacy is Well Pharmacy so Co-op but next door to GPs and the one at got the Creon from was a local independent one.
As said before the GP dispensary dept was great at arranging everything and keeping me informed and the 2 pharmacists were very helpful.
The only delays were in following the due protocol re having correct prescription etc but fully understand you need to follow correct proces.

When I joined my current GP surgery I used the adjoining Wells assuming that there would be some kind of integration between them…after 9 months switched to Rowlands a couple of miles away having never had a complete single pick up prescription. 3 years later village fb group continues to have complaints about wells.

Those big pharmacy chains are hopeless from own past experience, independent pharmacies are much better all round.

The Pancreatic Cancer UK site tells me there still are 4:
The brand names are Creon®, Pancrease®, Nutrizym®, or Pancrex®.

All 4 are broadly similar in chemical content. I think some could be in sifferent capsule content sizes. I found the Pancrease were bigger capsules for the comparable 25k unit contents and had a slightly different taste; I was glad when Creon was restored.
Creon 25K has been difficult to get here in Herne Bay for last couple of months. Lloyds cannot supply although other pharmacy could. Today no one had any. So am forced to use out of date 10Ks. Yeah I know I shouldn't, but no choice & no doubt will get supply of 10K again. The guys at Mylan should be forced to take 30 odd capsules with a meal. I bet they would then extract their digits.

Creon 25K has been difficult to get here in Herne Bay for last couple of months. Lloyds cannot supply although other pharmacy could. Today no one had any. So am forced to use out of date 10Ks. Yeah I know I shouldn't, but no choice & no doubt will get supply of 10K again. The guys at Mylan should be forced to take 30 odd capsules with a meal. I bet they would then extract their digits.
It's not the manufacturers at fault it's down to the supply chain ie the wholesaler.

I got my Creon no bother yesterday. I use a local independent pharmacy.

I get all our prescriptions from LloydsDirect. When i ordered my Creon (Two packs of 10,000 and i pack of 25,000) I noticed that the request form said "Waiting for stock". So I've had to use the 10,000 for larger meals. Three of the 10,000 is sufficient for lunch.

So three weeks after ordering,the 25,000 pack arrived two days ago, so it looks like supplies are back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back