No COVID symptoms but high blood sugars? Link?

Broomey

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Probably going to answer my own question here but since Monday I’ve been unable to lower BG to single figures despite having meals with easily calculable carbs and bolus corrections. Weekend BGs were great and mostly within 4-7 range but since Monday not so. Injection sites are ok and insulin is in date. Needles changed every time. I go for walks everyday and will complete 8-10k steps when out.
In the words of The Beatles I feel fine but I am now wondering if my body is fighting off a virus.
I have no Covid symptoms and have not really been in contact with anybody other than in the supermarket at the weekend (masked up).
Should I have a COVID test?
If not any other suggestions?
I’m just about to have 40 carbs at lunch so will have 11 units of Fiasp (2:1 ratio plus correction of 2) to correct my current reading of 12.1.
Welcome your thoughts

helli

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
You say the insulin is in date but have you changed your cartridge/pen to check they are not faulty?
If you are unable to bring down your blood sugars despite corrections, I would be looking to the insulin before myself.

Broomey

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
You say the insulin is in date but have you changed your cartridge/pen to check they are not faulty?
If you are unable to bring down your blood sugars despite corrections, I would be looking to the insulin before myself.
Thanks. Will do.

Inka

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I find if I’ve been running high, I need more insulin than I’d expect. I wouldn’t necessarily think the cause was Covid.

When you bolus at the same times as correcting, do you wait for your blood sugar to come back into range before eating? I’ve been found that helps.

I’d also check my insulin pen - that it’s working and that it’s accurate (you can test lots of them by bolusing into the top)

Broomey

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I find if I’ve been running high, I need more insulin than I’d expect. I wouldn’t necessarily think the cause was Covid.

When you bolus at the same times as correcting, do you wait for your blood sugar to come back into range before eating? I’ve been found that helps.

I’d also check my insulin pen - that it’s working and that it’s accurate (you can test lots of them by bolusing into the top)
Interesting response and something I’d not considered - will try that. Thanks.

everydayupsanddowns

Administrator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1