No carb to low carb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mynxie

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Good Morning all!

I was diagnosed type 2 at the end of February and immediately went into panic mode. My bmi was within the normal range but everything I read pointed to weight loss as the way to go. I cut out all carbs (or as many as I possibly could), upped the exercise and have lost over a stone as a consequence. I’m now thinking that I need to eat some carbs for my own good, but am afraid that if I do the weight will go back on. Can anyone suggest a way forward for me? I’m thinking maybe a slice of whole meal bread with avocado for lunch a few times a week? I’ve started having really bad palpitations which I’ve read can be caused by a very low carb diet and obviously don’t want to hurt my long term health.

How do I introduce more carbs (but not too many - im thinking of about 100gms a day) Are some better than others? My bloods are usually under 7, and although I’m not due another test til May I think I’m heading in the right direction.my starting HBac1 was 49.

Thank you for any advice you can offer.

Good Morning all!

I was diagnosed type 2 at the end of February and immediately went into panic mode. My bmi was within the normal range but everything I read pointed to weight loss as the way to go. I cut out all carbs (or as many as I possibly could), upped the exercise and have lost over a stone as a consequence. I’m now thinking that I need to eat some carbs for my own good, but am afraid that if I do the weight will go back on. Can anyone suggest a way forward for me? I’m thinking maybe a slice of whole meal bread with avocado for lunch a few times a week? I’ve started having really bad palpitations which I’ve read can be caused by a very low carb diet and obviously don’t want to hurt my long term health.

How do I introduce more carbs (but not too many - im thinking of about 100gms a day) Are some better than others? My bloods are usually under 7, and although I’m not due another test til May I think I’m heading in the right direction.my starting HBac1 was 49.

Thank you for any advice you can offer.

It strikes me that with an initial A1c of 49 (48 is the diagnostic threshold) you have taken a sledgehammer to crack a nut. You were only just over the diagnostic threshold, and only 7 over the threshold for pre-diabetes.

I totally understand the desire to be rid of diabetes, and I understand doing everything in your power, but it could be a decent time to think of your longer term wellbeing.

Firstly, I would suggest you have your palpitations checked out to ensure there is nothing of more concern causing them. Many things can cause palpitations, however, in your shoes, I would also be ensuring I was well enough hydrated and that I was taking in a bit of salt. In a "normal" diet, eating carbs holds fluid in the tissues. By your account, having by-and-large given up carbs, your electrolytes may be a bit askew. (Clearly that is speculation and NOT any form of diagnosis).

Looking to the longer term, how do you intend to manage your metabolic life?

If you intend to introduce carbs (to whatever degree), I suggest you do it gently. If you jump right in you may find your body is not prepared for the carbs and you end up with some digestive distress.

However, please don't mess with palpitations, without the reassurance there is no worrying underlying cause.

Thanks for your advice - I have already consulted my GP re the palpitations and am awaiting an appointment for the outpatients clinic. Theyve only started during the past 6 weeks or so.

I take your point that I’m probably being over zealous in my reaction to the diagnosis but I’m 68 and wanted to try and knock it on the head as quickly as I could. Being the type of person who goes for the ‘all or nothing‘ approach isn’t always helpful and I’m sometimes my own worst enemy!

The advice to lose weight is aimed at those who are overweight so some more modest changes to your diet would probably have been all that was needed. For most people low carb (less than 130g per day) rather than no carb is a more realistic approach and best done gradually to avoid other health issues like problems with eyes and nerves from dropping blood glucose too quickly.
Some medications can cause palpitations, e.g. some blood pressure meds so definitely worth checking out with your G P. It would be worth asking for your blood tests to check HbA1C and the other tests that would normally be done to check kidney function and electrolytes asap rather than wait for May.

As you have obviously read a lot of the wrong things, I suggest that you go over what you used to eat and start eating a similar but more normal menu - just without the amount of carbohydrate considered usual or even healthy.
Have meat, fish seafood, eggs and cheese, full fat dairy such as Greek yoghurt, but rather than having high carb foods such as bread eat vegetables with moderate to low carb content, and fruit the same, starting with berries.
That sort of regime should bring your Hba1c into normal ranges and provide all you need to stay there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back