No BG test in A&E

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ralph-YK

Much missed Member
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
It's been mentioned here a couple of times that when you're in A&E they're supposed to test your BG.
I'm there now (nose bleed for over half an hour, GP practice said to come), seen nurse. BP and temperature (both ears?) taken.
No sigh of BG being taken. I did mention I hadn't tested and had no idea what it was. Asked if T1, said T2. And that was it.

Hope you get bleed under control.

Thanks. Wouldn't you know, when I saw the nurse it had stopped. Sat sitting in the waiting area now. People at GP's said might get it cortorise.

Depends how busy they are, really. The long odds are that with an established type 2 won't have a BG that needs urgent treatment. They should do it on everybody, mind, its a standard test done by paramedics in ambulance emergencies, and on casualties brought in unconscious.

As you are on Metformin the rule of thumb is no testing so A&E wont suddenly decide to test you.

JRCALC protocols are to test BM as part of normal observations. As you were presenting with a nose bleed a BM measurement would not be essential for any treatment unless you mentioned symptoms related to hyper or hypoglycaemia.
Did anyone check your blood pressure?

Blood pressure and tempreature again, checked by doctor before saying ok.

Thanks. Wouldn't you know, when I saw the nurse it had stopped. Sat sitting in the waiting area now. People at GP's said might get it cortorise.
Sods law isn't it

Depends how busy they are, really. The long odds are that with an established type 2 won't have a BG that needs urgent treatment. They should do it on everybody, mind, its a standard test done by paramedics in ambulance emergencies, and on casualties brought in unconscious.
Taken many BG readings when working Medical Aids as part of my work with County Fire.... Pretty much standard tests which I wouldn't even ask for direction from the Paramedic are 4-lead, SpO2, BP, Pulse..... BG would have to be ordered by the Paramedic but very common.

Taken many BG readings when working Medical Aids as part of my work with County Fire.... Pretty much standard tests which I wouldn't even ask for direction from the Paramedic are 4-lead, SpO2, BP, Pulse..... BG would have to be ordered by the Paramedic but very common.
Just literally returned from PT Convolutions, FAST+, Obs taken, BM 3.1, Pulse 133, BP 78/40, BR 28 (Shallow with Stridor), PEARL not reacting, Temp 33.6C, AF. All these are standard for initial observations in the UK with either GCS or AVPU along with a NEWS score. Unfortunately this guy prognosis is pretty poor.

Hmmm NEWS is news to me..... However, this guy does not look good at all!!!

Hmmm NEWS is news to me..... However, this guy does not look good at all!!!
National Early Warning Score, its a grid combining observations then red flagging certain things. Aggregate score 7 or above or any individual 3's = shock, possibly Sepsis.

Thanks a bunch for that info Martin. I get it now. I apprec. I thought I might have had a hypo a few days ago but symptoms were different to the ones you explained to me. I suddenly felt really fatigued & felt the floor was like a sponge causing me to loose my balance. Thankfully I stopped my self from falling. But after that when I walked, it was as if i was well & truly over the legal limit! The thing is, I wasn't drunk. I rarely touch alcohol only on special occasions. So now I'm wondering what the "hiccup"! was that made me feel quite poorly. Has anyone out there had a similar experience?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back