NO APPOINTMENTS AVAILABLE

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScouseJB

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I'm type 2 (diet only) but it has been 14 months since i was last checked. I have rang and visited my GP surgery five times recently trying to get a blood test etc, only to be told each time that there are no appointments available. Can someone please advise what my next course of action should be, as i don't know what else to do ?
Thanks in anticipation.

I'm type 2 (diet only) but it has been 14 months since i was last checked. I have rang and visited my GP surgery five times recently trying to get a blood test etc, only to be told each time that there are no appointments available. Can someone please advise what my next course of action should be, as i don't know what else to do ?
Thanks in anticipation.
Does your GP have an online access system like e-consult? If so you can use that to ask about getting a diabetes review and they should contact you to offer an appointment or discuss what they want you to do.

Alternatively, if you are ringing up asking for a GP appointment then try asking to book a diabetes review instead, it may be that if you ask for that they will realise they can give you an appointment with the practice nurse.

It can be about gaming the system by knowing what your local GP’s appointment system is. Is there a way to book a blood test online, do you have to call at 8am and only have a chance at an appointment that way, do they have a different system for blood tests than GP appointments etc. here for a nurse/HCA you to do a blood test you can book online, on patient access/NHS app or phoning after 2pm. You can only see a doctor by phoning in the morning and getting a phone triage call at some point that morning but every surgery is different and some are more accessible than others.

It can be about gaming the system by knowing what your local GP’s appointment system is. Is there a way to book a blood test online, do you have to call at 8am and only have a chance at an appointment that way, do they have a different system for blood tests than GP appointments etc. here for a nurse/HCA you to do a blood test you can book online, on patient access/NHS app or phoning after 2pm. You can only see a doctor by phoning in the morning and getting a phone triage call at some point that morning but every surgery is different and some are more accessible than others.
Bloods at local surgery are taken by nurse/hca , they just keep saying that there are no appointments available. will just keep trying.

Does your GP have an online access system like e-consult? If so you can use that to ask about getting a diabetes review and they should contact you to offer an appointment or discuss what they want you to do.

Alternatively, if you are ringing up asking for a GP appointment then try asking to book a diabetes review instead, it may be that if you ask for that they will realise they can give you an appointment with the practice nurse.
I'm not asking to see a doctor, as the bloods are taken by a nurse/hca. I'll try Econsult and see if that works.

Thanks in anticipation.
Contact the Practise Manager..
NICE guidelines are that once diagnosed you should get an HbA1c test twice a year.. sometimes surgeries need reminding of this.
Maybe think about joining the Patient Participation Group and raising your concerns there.

Thanks in anticipation.

Mine usually chase me to book me in.

They cancelled at short notice yesterday, for todays appointment.
Next date available was early March.
So they can book into the next few weeks.
I'm away though, so I went to the local hospital, (form printed out by my surgery), they took the bloods there on a walk in.

Does your surgery do anything similar, or do they just have bookings for the immediate clinics, or any other facilities?

Thanks in anticipation.
Hello @ScouseJB ,

Welcome to the forum. Do you know if they are only offering same day appointments or for the week/month? It may be possibly you could ask for a future appointment or if you can go to a hospital to get blood work done? You can always call our helpline for more information as well.

Hello @ScouseJB ,

Welcome to the forum. Do you know if they are only offering same day appointments or for the week/month? It may be possibly you could ask for a future appointment or if you can go to a hospital to get blood work done? You can always call our helpline for more information as well.
They take bookings for two weeks in advance but they are permenantly full.

Mine usually chase me to book me in.

They cancelled at short notice yesterday, for todays appointment.
Next date available was early March.
So they can book into the next few weeks.
I'm away though, so I went to the local hospital, (form printed out by my surgery), they took the bloods there on a walk in.

Does your surgery do anything similar, or do they just have bookings for the immediate clinics, or any other facilities?
I will ask the question on monday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back