Nipro 4Sure Smart Duo BG tester

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barrowman

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi everyone, After my first three months' assessment just under a week ago I've been issued with the above BG and Ketone tester by my local hospital.

I'm assuming it was because about a month ago I went to my local walk-in surgery as I felt unwell, cutting a long story short I was advised to go to my hospital because my ketone reading was 2.7 which is high, after having an insulin drip it came down to 1.6 which they said was okay for me.

Out of interest, the meter comes with one ketone test strip and ten BG test strips so they won't last long.

Having searched the forum, and unless I have missed it, I can find no information on this piece of equipment. Has anyone had any experience with it as I would appreciate any comments?

Hi everyone, After my first three months' assessment just under a week ago I've been issued with the above BG and Ketone tester by my local hospital.

I'm assuming it was because about a month ago I went to my local walk-in surgery as I felt unwell, cutting a long story short I was advised to go to my hospital because my ketone reading was 2.7 which is high, after having an insulin drip it came down to 1.6 which they said was okay for me.

Out of interest, the meter comes with one ketone test strip and ten BG test strips so they won't last long.

Having searched the forum, and unless I have missed it, I can find no information on this piece of equipment. Has anyone had any experience with it as I would appreciate any comments?
There is a good bit on the internet just put the name of the monitor in the search.
The test strips can be bought on line but are not the cheapest and I couldn't see ketone strips and they are usually quite expensive.
As you have been given the monitor by the hospital I would ask your GP to prescribe you the strips.
Urine ketone strips are cheap from the pharmacy if you need those or ask for them on prescription as well.

Thank you @Leadinglights I already have a Tee2 tester so I assume they wanted me to keep an eye on my ketones, just checked on eBay I can get ten for £13.99 which as you say are not cheap but if I only check my ketones once a month or when not feeling well they could last me ten months at the most. But I will ask if I can get them on prescription first, might be pushing my luck as I've already got my Tee2 test strips and lancets provided on prescription Thanks again.

Your ketones only need to be tested if your BG levels head up into mid teens or above and stay there. It isn't something that needs routine testing. Even if you are ill you don't need to test unless your levels go high and stay there.... not just the odd spike, but persistent high levels that won't come down.

I still haven't managed to get Blood Ketone test strips prescribed for my Dual meter despite asking my nurse and consultant and I have been Type 1 for over 3 years but I do have Ketostix to dip my urine for ketones. So far I have not officially needed to use them although I have experimented when they were getting out of date. You get 50 or 100 in a pot for £5 so much, much cheaper than the blood ketone test strips for the machine. The only thing you have to be aware of is that they are not as accurate and it takes a few hours before the ketones find their way into your urine from your blood, so you can't afford to delay getting assistance if you do get a high reading on the urine strips.

Your ketones only need to be tested if your BG levels head up into mid teens or above and stay there. It isn't something that needs routine testing. Even if you are ill you don't need to test unless your levels go high and stay there.... not just the odd spike, but persistent high levels that won't come down.
Great news @rebrascora that's taken a weight off my mind, I must admit to having been a little concerned after it was suggested I went straight to A&E by a nurse at the walk-in clinic.
I will certainly be investing in some ketone urine test strips on Monday and I've noted the urgency of getting urgent attention should I display high BG readings and a high reading on a test strip. Thank you for your advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back