Nighttime blood sugars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scotty1305

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I’ve recently been getting sharp drops in blood sugars at night. There is no rhyme nor reason for this. I can be chilling all day and it’s fine but suddenly through the night my Libre2 alarm is going off. Does anyone have any idea why this is happening? My current daily meds are…..
Metformin
Gliclazide
Emplagliflozin
Semaglutide

Sorry to read about your disrupted sleep.
Are you checking your Libre readings with a finger prick?
The reason I ask is because one of the most common reason for Libre alarms during the night are Compression Lows. When pressure is applied to the sensor, it can report false low readings. This is most likely to happen when you are sleeping and you lie on your arm. This is one of the reasons it is always advised to check lows from Libre.

Been getting this too. Its not good. I've bought a dexcom to see if it would help (was getting desparate) I have libre 2 on nhs. i have a libre on my arm, a dexcom on tummy. These are my conclusions...
Sometimes its a compression low - only one of my two sensors will show low. Don't sleep on the sensor is the answer
Sometimes both show a low together but a fingerprick shows ok blood sugar. I think this is dehydration. Since i've kept a bottle of water by my bed and drink if i wake, this seems to have stopped.
Sometimes, to be honest, its just libre being libre.
Dexcom doesn't seem to do it as much, either that, or its the placing of ghe sensor on the tummy

Try not sleeping on sensor and drinking plenty of water. Possibly try dexcom if that doesn't work?
Sorry to read about your disrupted sleep.
Are you checking your Libre readings with a finger prick?
The reason I ask is because one of the most common reason for Libre alarms during the night are Compression Lows. When pressure is applied to the sensor, it can report false low readings. This is most likely to happen when you are sleeping and you lie on your arm. This is one of the reasons it is always advised to check lows from Libre.

Of course, if your blood sugars are actually dropping its a different kettle of fish
Been getting this too. Its not good. I've bought a dexcom to see if it would help (was getting desparate) I have libre 2 on nhs. i have a libre on my arm, a dexcom on tummy. These are my conclusions...
Sometimes its a compression low - only one of my two sensors will show low. Don't sleep on the sensor is the answer
Sometimes both show a low together but a fingerprick shows ok blood sugar. I think this is dehydration. Since i've kept a bottle of water by my bed and drink if i wake, this seems to have stopped.
Sometimes, to be honest, its just libre being libre.
Dexcom doesn't seem to do it as much, either that, or its the placing of ghe sensor on the tummy

Try not sleeping on sensor and drinking plenty of water. Possibly try dexcom if that doesn't work?

I’ve recently been getting sharp drops in blood sugars at night. There is no rhyme nor reason for this. I can be chilling all day and it’s fine but suddenly through the night my Libre2 alarm is going off. Does anyone have any idea why this is happening? My current daily meds are…..
Metformin
Gliclazide
Emplagliflozin
Semaglutide
To work out what's amiss, you'll need a standard bg meter & strips, and test at the time the alarms go off then re-scan a few mins later (as plasma readings lag fp tests by a few minutes)

I had the alarm problem and found it was down to my basal being too high.
Other times have found the problem to be either dehydration or compression, or both.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back