Night time hypo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martin62

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi All, over the last 3 nights , I've been woken by the low sugar alarm on my libre between 3 and 4 o'clock in the morning ( confirmed with finger prick ) Last night I had a carby snack before bed but it still happened, I think maybe I need less basal due to this warmer weather. I currently take 15 units of tresiba , I know that tresiba is long acting and may need a couple of days to see any change , any thoughts to how many units to lower it by ?
Martin

Hi All, over the last 3 nights , I've been woken by the low sugar alarm on my libre between 3 and 4 o'clock in the morning ( confirmed with finger prick ) Last night I had a carby snack before bed but it still happened, I think maybe I need less basal due to this warmer weather. I currently take 15 units of tresiba , I know that tresiba is long acting and may need a couple of days to see any change , any thoughts to how many units to lower it by ?
Martin
I was always told to make changes of no more than 10% at a time. Though I’ve never used Tresiba.

I’ve been advised 10% at a time as a rough a guideline for dose adjustment, erring on the cautious side for hypos. We can’t advise on doses but it it was me I’d be going down to about 13 if a mild hypo, and less if a more serious hypo

It’s worth looking at your evening numbers and what meals you’re having too as that can impact overnight. But yes 10% change in basal if you have half unit pen that makes it easier and wait 3 days before doing another change.

I think it is important to consider why your basal needs may be lower for the last 3 days.
Could it be something temporary such as being extra active over the long weekend or something longer term such as needing less insulin over the summer?
I ask because this will affect whether you should change your basal dose or whether your needs vary frequently so Tresiba may not be the idea basal or whether your needs are going to be less over the summer so a reduction is the right thing to do.

I think it is important to consider why your basal needs may be lower for the last 3 days.
Could it be something temporary such as being extra active over the long weekend or something longer term such as needing less insulin over the summer?
I ask because this will affect whether you should change your basal dose or whether your needs vary frequently so Tresiba may not be the idea basal or whether your needs are going to be less over the summer so a reduction is the right thing to do.
Definitely not extra active , I just think it's the warmer weather, I will do a 10% reduction then see over the next few days if its making a difference.

Any extra alcohol over the bank holiday weekend because hat could affect it too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back