Night-time blood glucose

• Thread starter Thread starter FM001
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
F

FM001

Interested to know what other people's minimum safe blood glucose is before bed, this may be more relevant to insulin users as I am referring to minimum levels to prevent a night-time hypo, although those on bg reducing meds it may be relevant too, so do please respond! My own is no less than 5.5mmol. Toby.

Hi Toby,

When on MDI my control was terrible and I couldn't go to sleep if under 9 or else I'd hypo 😱

Since pumping, anything 5 or above tends to be fine 🙂

Pretty much the same as you two then.

If I'm lower than 5.5 I'll feel happier having a handful of dry no-added sugar muesli or 10ish g of something low GI 'just in case'. It's not uncommon for my last-thing-at-night's and fbg's to go either up or down by 2 mmol/l even on a good night to going to bed at 4 seems a little close to the wire.

'Course it all kinda depends what's been happening evening meal-wise. And whether I think there's any active insulin still on board and/or late breaking carbs to come along and muck things up.

I don't usually correct unless upwards of 10 either.

One of these days I really must do a full-on set of overnight basal tests to see what happens when, over the course a few nights.

Last edited:
For me 5.0 would be the lowest, I will always wake high though, I have even taken more insulin before bed, expecting to hypo but still wake at my normal high levels.........:(

Now that I'm on a pump I can go at 4.6mmoml/l but I'm not comfortable with this, so will have a couple of jelly babies just in case!!

When MDI 7mmol/l but saying that I could hypo at any time with what ever reading, as it as everydayupsanddowns said, very much dependant of what spanner was waiting to drop into the works!!

Without giving too much away - depends if partner is around or not 🙂

I feel safe if Carol is around 7ish.

But it has happend that she's gone to bed 18ish (no correction!!!) and woken up 3.8 in the morning.

I never correct at bedtime now, because when I did that once she was hypo at 2am.

I've found that I'm now safe with 4.5 but that's only since I've had another condition which means that the food takes much longer to digest. Before this I would be concerned about a night time. Hypo if my bedtime bg was below 7.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back