Night sweats

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stefan1

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi I am a male 42 type 2 diabetic on metformin and trulicity 1.5mg injection aweek. I have been getting night sweats for a while can anyone help.ste

Do you know what your blood sugars are like when you get your night sweats?
I can wake sweaty if my levels are high or low.

Hi. How long have you been suffering this problem?
Have you checked your BG levels when you wake up with these sweats. High BG has been known to cause night sweats and also very low BG levels....the latter usually being cold sweats. Or perhaps your levels are crashing from very high levels after your evening meal to normal levels whilst you sleep and causing false hypos which are making you sweat. Do they also cause your heart to pound? If you don't currently test your BG I would highly recommend getting yourself a test kit and testing to see what is happening and that will give you an idea of whether it is related to your diabetes. The 2 which are most often recommended for people self funding are the Gluco Navii or the Spirit Tee2. Both are about £15 for a meter kit and £8 per pot for additional test strips which are about the cheapest on the market and these meters are recommended for that reason and their reliability.

Have you modified your diet since diagnosis and has anything changed in your regime to possibly trigger them, if they are recent. Do you keep a food diary and could it be particular foods which are causing them?

Hi and thanks for getting back to me. I have been type 2 for 3 years now . I have the sweats for years they come and go . I am I deep sleeper only when I wake I no I had one. The pillows are wet and the sheets it can happen afew times a night . I have tested before I have gone to bed most times it's been about 7 to 10 not to bad .and in morning can be 10 or more I don't get it.

I would keep a food diary and see if there is any correlation between what you eat and perhaps when you eat before you have them. It may be slow release foods like pasta or pizza causing a rise through the night, particularly if you haven't modified your diet. Do you test your BG levels to see how you respond to different foods/meals and adjust your portion size or make swaps for lower carb alternatives.

Not sure if you are aware but all carbohydrates break down into glucose after you eat them and get absorbed into your blood stream, so contrary to popular belief, diabetes is not just about sugar but all carbs and some can be worse that others for some people. For instance bread is like rocket fuel for my BG levels and it isn't worth the aggravation of eating it for me, but I can get away with a small portion of rice or 2/3 small potatoes occasionally. Much as I love lentils and beans they seem to release twice as much glucose than they should when I eat them, so whilst they are really good for most people, they cause my diabetes problems, but other diabetics find they are fine with them. Testing before and 2 hours after a meal will give you a good indication of whether the meals you are eating are helping you to improve your diabetes management or aggravating the problem. Relying on medication alone to manage your Type 2 diabetes is not generally a route to success.

Welcome to the forum @Stefan1

I’ve merged your threads together to keep your responses on one place for ease of reference 🙂

Sorry to hear about your night sweats - must be pretty uncomfortable.

I agree with others that checking your BG levels overnight (eg setting an alarm to wake you) when the sweats are happening) would be really helpful to rule out hypos, which are a potentially worrying cause of sweating overnight in people with diabetes.

Of course it may not be diabetes-related at all, so definitely worth keeping an open mind.

@Stefan1 could you apply for the free Libre trial? This should give you an idea of what is happening to your blood sugars overnight whilst you are asleep over a couple of weeks which may give you some insight.

I told the doctor and they give me steglatro tablets they make u wee more witch helps but I still get them .

I told the doctor and they give me steglatro tablets they make u wee more witch helps but I still get them .
Has your doctor explained what this medication does? You are taking other meds for your diabetes so there may be things you should look out for with this additional med.
Info here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back