Night shift

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magzz

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I have recently changed from a day shift worker to night shift. On the nights I am working I can come home and sleep fine. On my days off, I find I am extremely tired during the day and find myself in bed at 10pm at night, but I’m wide awake from approx 5am, sometimes earlier onwards. Does anyone have any advice on how I can manage this better, to sleep till 7am would be nice on my days off.

Hi , I am new to the forum. I was diagnosed type 2 during covid times so I feel I did not receive much support. Since being diagnosed I have lost just over a stone , so I feel this has definitely helped me, but still a bit to go. To make life more difficult I have recently changed from a day shift worker to do night shifts. I thought this would be a good idea. But I am finding it really difficult to sleep in my days off. I am extremely tired during the day and then I wake up at 4am and I’m wide awake, tired all day , doze and then in bed too early, hence up again 4 or 5 am . Any advice Would be appreciated

Hi , I am new to the forum. I was diagnosed type 2 during covid times so I feel I did not receive much support. Since being diagnosed I have lost just over a stone , so I feel this has definitely helped me, but still a bit to go. To make life more difficult I have recently changed from a day shift worker to do night shifts. I thought this would be a good idea. But I am finding it really difficult to sleep in my days off. I am extremely tired during the day and then I wake up at 4am and I’m wide awake, tired all day , doze and then in bed too early, hence up again 4 or 5 am . Any advice Would be appreciated
I think it takes some time to establish a good routine when you change form a 'normal' day pattern to night as your body clock has to make huge adjustments. You always have the problem of days off and how you deal with them and then a transition back to nights.
Making sure you eat at regular times and try to keep to a sleep routine. Make sure your room is dark, blackout curtains may help or an eye mask. You could try some herbal sleeping tablets (Nytol or similar).
Can you do a longer spell of nights then a longer spell of days off, that might make it easier to settle into one or the other.

Welcome to the forum @Magzz

I’ve merged your posts and replies into one thread to make the conversation easier to follow 🙂

Sorry to hear you are having difficulty adjusting to your new shift pattern. I think shift work can be a challenge, but there are some common habits which may help (making sure you wind down, avoiding screen time before sleeping, keeping a good routine etc)

Hope you can find a way to improve your sleep on days off, and that your body gets used to the new rhythm of things.

I’m not sure of any of the suggestions in this article might be helpful

Hello, fellow night shifter here so I can relate. I stay awake after my last night (I do 4 on 4 off) for as long as I can I then take a melatonin 10mg tablet and hope for the best! I try to I stay up until midnight on my nights off and find that helps.

Hi and welcome. I used to work a rotating one week of nights. It was awful and I hated it. Sorry that doesn’t help you.
I worked from Sunday night from 10 till 6 am. I always had a rest in bed in a very darkened room for a couple of hours Sunday afternoon though rarely slept. We had dinner in the evening and I took two meals to work with me -a packed ’lunch’ (eaten around 2 )and a breakfast (eaten about 4.30). Tea, or sometimes hot chocolate. No coffee.
I would go straight to bed in same darkened room as soon as I got home about 7am, no drink no food no chat. Alarm set for 3 pm to pick the children up from school. Then I had the evening with them and we had our main meal. My last night was Thursday, so routine repeated throughout the week. On Friday I would get up at 11 am. I always tried to have something to do on Fridays, meet a friend for lunch or something else normal but not chores. I found it was the quickest way to get back to normal for the weekend though usually in bed by 10.30pm.
The meal breaks are important and I didn’t always want to eat but felt better for eating if that makes sense.
Sorry this post has gone on a bit but hope it helps.

Hello, fellow night shifter here so I can relate. I stay awake after my last night (I do 4 on 4 off) for as long as I can I then take a melatonin 10mg tablet and hope for the best! I try to I stay up until midnight on my nights off and find that helps.
Thanks for your reply, I have the drs in a few days time so I’ll discuss melatonin options too, thanks

Hi and welcome. I used to work a rotating one week of nights. It was awful and I hated it. Sorry that doesn’t help you.
I worked from Sunday night from 10 till 6 am. I always had a rest in bed in a very darkened room for a couple of hours Sunday afternoon though rarely slept. We had dinner in the evening and I took two meals to work with me -a packed ’lunch’ (eaten around 2 )and a breakfast (eaten about 4.30). Tea, or sometimes hot chocolate. No coffee.
I would go straight to bed in same darkened room as soon as I got home about 7am, no drink no food no chat. Alarm set for 3 pm to pick the children up from school. Then I had the evening with them and we had our main meal. My last night was Thursday, so routine repeated throughout the week. On Friday I would get up at 11 am. I always tried to have something to do on Fridays, meet a friend for lunch or something else normal but not chores. I found it was the quickest way to get back to normal for the weekend though usually in bed by 10.30pm.
The meal breaks are important and I didn’t always want to eat but felt better for eating if that makes sense.
Sorry this post has gone on a bit but hope it helps.
Thanks, this was really helpful. Unsure if nights will suit me, I’ll persevere for a few more weeks and see if I can adjust. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back