Night Shift workers

Status
Not open for further replies.

paul.johnson

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi all, I have been working permanent night shift for the past 20 yrs,But kept my regime for someone who works day shift.....as i used to work 7 nights 3 off,so to keep in line with home life,kids and all,breakfast when i got home,lunch at 1pm,evening dinner at 6pm,then off to work at 10pm,Got hungry thru the night,ate a few bits and bobs, as you do.lol
Now im on 4 on 4 off 12 hour shift pattern nights,
Any ideas on food pattern appreciated,as im now on nights as much as rest days at home,somehow eating a bowl of lettuce thru the night to fill my cravings,just doesnt wash.lol

There are people who do shift work using the boards, although the patterns may vary. I'm sure someone will be along soon with some helpful ideas.

Hi

Best advice is the basal/balous regime with carb counting..

If your background insulin is set probably to cover your basal needs this should give you the flexibility to eat as and when you want to match your shift patterns at work.. You just count the carbs being eaten and inject quick insulin to cover..

Another option is to ask you diabetic team for an insulin pump, this will actually give you more flexibility than injections, as you can set different basal profiles to match a work day or a day off, amoungs other things, but works the same principle as MDI, just a lot better and more flexible..

Don't know how you survive with broken sleep for midday meal and lack of food through night - I couldn't do that on nights, but perhaps that's because I'm greedy / hungry and a bowl of lettuce wouldn't keep me going! Instead, I have basal insulin injections at roughly the same times each day (I have 2 per day, approx 10 - 11pm and 7am - 8am) and bolus insulin with each meal, usually 3 meals per day, but sometimes 4 or even 5 meals in a 24 hour period.

What I eat through the night depends a lot on cooking facilities or lack of - in a building with a kettle and / or microwave, I can have almost anything; if marshalling in a tent, can cook on a stove, or make upo a flask to drink through the busy periods, otherwise, it's sandwiches / muesli bars / fruit etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back