Night/Morning Hypos

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhoebeC

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hello Guys,

For the last 12 nights i have had only not had a hypo 2 nights. One of those nights i was very naughty at a party and ate lots of food i shouldnt have so bloods not good at all over 20 😡 but then down to 12 in the morning big drop.

I went to bed last night with bloods about 6ish, ate 2 slives of toast should be more than enough, woke up 5.10am 1.5. Same the morning before.

By 4-5am every morning i wake up to a hypo its really starting to annoy me because i cant sleep afterwards and being 7 weeks pregnant is hard work as it is without missing a few hours sleep. :confused:

And i had real trouble eating breakfast with morning sickness, not been sick yet but i just couldnt eat :(

Last edited:
Hi Phoebe...being pregnant has a massive effect on your glucose levels. I hypo'd all the time in the first trimester due to your insulin absorbtion being increased. You may need to decrease your insulin intake and really closely monitor your levels.

Take care not to have such highs (don't want to nag and don't want to scare you but i previously miscarried at 9weeks) and whilst thats nature taking its course for a mulitude of reasons i am sure, i couldn't help but feel at this time it was because of the D!!

The hypos though are all part and parcel of being a pregnant diabetic. Just as you get used to one change something changes again!

Take care of yourself Bernie x 🙂

Sounds like you are on far too much basal insulin, I would suggest speaking to your DSN about reducing it.
Might also be worth doing a 2-3am check to see if you can catch yourself before you wake up low, and take preventative action.

Hi Phoebe

I had alot of hypos in the first trimester, and my awareness of them was not so good so I was also waking up with really low readings. I cant remember what your insulin regime is - sorry.

I am on split doses of levemir. I ended up cutting my nighttime dose down to just 1unit to combat the hypos. It sounds like you need to cut your basal, can you phone/email your DSN, to discuss it with them first.

Fortunately I didnt really get morning sickness, but I would sometimes go quite dizzy after eating in the mornings, and have to go back to bed for a bit - thank goodness for flexi-time at work. Apparently eating a plain biscuit a little bit before getting up and having your breakfast can help.

Hope you sleep better tonight
Rx

Yesterday i had the worse hypo of my life.
I was feeling abit shakey in yoga, so i took a tab, then tested at the end of the class about 5 mins later, was 1.1 had another tab and would wait till i got home to have some bread. I cant even remember leaving yoga, i dont remebered getting home , only about 10pm did i start getting back in my head, so id been out of it for 40 mins nearly.

I was really really shakey and my lips and mouth where tingly, horrid horrid. This is the worse i have ever known it be. Freaked my husband out, who then wouldnt stop trying to give me sweets when i was getting better.And is now worried about me. I never want to get like that ever again, really scary.

I still didnt feel 100% for ages after. Cant belive it happened i had less insulin at tea so it wouldnt, cant imagine if id had what i normally have.

Didnt hypo in the night.

I am on insulatard at night and novorapid 3 times a day, Defo think i need to bring the insulatard down.

Gonna get in contact with my nurse or my gp as soon as i can.

Aww not good Pheobe, Hope your feeling better now x

Aww not good Pheobe, Hope your feeling better now x

Feel fine, Thanks , but now my husband and mum are worried about me, which is annoying but shows they love me 🙂

xx

That is really scary, glad you got home ok. Hope you are feeling better now. I dont know how you normally treat your hypos but I was told to have 20g of fasting acting carb (5 glucotabs), and then back it up with 15g of slow acting carb (about 3 plain biscuits). It is hard to think logically when you are that bad though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back