Night in: Practical science

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlisonM

Much missed Moderator
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
I don't want to hijack the poll thread so here it is. If we're going to do this and take it as a serious experiment we need to set it up so we're all measuring a similar amount of food, otherwise the results won't mean anything. Having said that, I don't normally measure things so, how much would you say is a reasonable amount? If we can agree on that we stand a far better chance of getting some decent answers. We also need to agree the times at which we test before and after (will that be different for Type 1s and Type 2s*?) and take into account any other variables such as exercise, that might affect your numbers. For instance, how far is it to your chippy?

I guess we're going to be busy.:D

I agree, it would be hard to do with a chippy as we would all end up with different portion sizes (apart from the problems with cholesterol, high carbs etc.)

I think the problem will be that the likes of Alex wouldnt eat as much as an adult etc.😱
I understand what your saying, but surely its all relative? Well for type 1's it is anyway as the point of doing it is to find out what the food does and how to remedy it next time. I suspect we all dose in different ways and it will be interesting to find out what works best.

Everyones weights are different so the rate at which the metabolism works for each individual will vary - so some may take 6 hours to digest something whilst others will take 4. I am not sure if we could make it so scientific?
Not trying to be awkward at all - just dont understand how we could get it equal across the board.🙂Bev

I think the problem will be that the likes of Alex wouldnt eat as much as an adult etc.😱
I understand what your saying, but surely its all relative? Well for type 1's it is anyway as the point of doing it is to find out what the food does and how to remedy it next time. I suspect we all dose in different ways and it will be interesting to find out what works best.

Everyones weights are different so the rate at which the metabolism works for each individual will vary - so some may take 6 hours to digest something whilst others will take 4. I am not sure if we could make it so scientific?
Not trying to be awkward at all - just dont understand how we could get it equal across the board.🙂Bev

Good point about kids not eating so much Bev, i have to admit I had not thought of that (hanging my head in shame).

it would be impossible to do this scientifically ...i thought it was justto be a bit of fun try out new recepies and see how different things effect us !!!

We can't get it equal as you say, but we could start from as level a point as possible. Obviously a child won't likely eat as much as a full grown man and portion sizes would reflect that.

Hi

I think that unfortunately this would be nigh on impossible to achieve as a scientific experiment, although good in theory. You would all have to start with the same BG level and I know I can't guarantee what Jessica will be from one hour to the next. Just impossible. Then the people on insulin are on different ratios if on ratios at all.

I think it will just be of great benefit to see if there are spikes and how many hours afterward and if any lows etc etc. I think maybe we could all agree to test at certain periods after but we can't all eat at the same time. ie hourly after eating or after giving insulin or two hourly or 1 1/2 hourly.

Just my thoughts.

When I was first diagnosed I was testing immediately before a meal, the 1 and two hours after. Now I only test for food related things if I eat something I haven't had since D-Day. I still test morning and evening or if I feel unwell because I'm still trying to learn what 'high' feels like as my body doesn't tell me. By high, I mean above 9 not in the teens, if I get that high I know about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back