Night hypos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lizzie

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi

I am having a few problems with night hypos at the moment. I usually wake up. But due to the fuzziness and confusion of the combination of being half-asleep and hypo, I go to the fridge and eat anything I can find there. It seems to take longer for my blood sugar to rise to a normal level at night, or maybe it takes longer for my brain to communicate that information, so I end up eating far too much and having a rebound high. Does anyone else have this problem and how do you deal with it? I do have lucozade by the bed but I never remember it is there.

Don't have this problem, but is it possible to move the lucozade into the fridge and put it within your eye line? Lots of people (me included) don't remember things unless they are in the eye line

Don't have this problem, but is it possible to move the lucozade into the fridge and put it within your eye line? Lots of people (me included) don't remember things unless they are in the eye line

Those Fun size chocolate bars can be good under/next to your bed, then you dont have to get up, sure its better for you not moving around if you can help it.

x

I keep cartons of Tesco's basic OJ (the 200ml ones) within grabbing distance from my bed. They boost me up enough but don't over do it. Keeping things within eyeline is a very good suggestion, I often forget about things if I can't see them!

I keep glucose sweets at the bottom of my bed (i have a shelf there)

But i too find myself wandering downstairs if hypo in the night. :confused:
Its prob the semi concious state that makes you act on instinct.
Everyone knows that food is kept in the fridge. (Including my cat who insists on sticking his head in everytime the door is open)

I have a tub of jelly babies by my bed, plus a bottle of lucozade (that hasn't been touched for a year!), and a container with some garibaldi biscuits in because I find they are good to eat after 3 jelly babies and keep me going for the rest of the night.

If you're going downstairs to your fridge, that's potentially very dangerous in a hypo state, plus if you make it to the fridge, hypo symptoms of hunger will make you eat more than you should. Keep stuff within reach of your bed and try to train your mind to use it! 😉

Thanks for all the helpful replies. Don't worry about me falling downstairs - I live in a ground floor flat!

(Including my cat who insists on sticking his head in everytime the door is open)

Had to laugh - if I ever come downstairs due to a night hypo, the cat will follow me in and rub around my legs, and stick his nose in the fridge if I open it!

Thanks for all the helpful replies. Don't worry about me falling downstairs - I live in a ground floor flat!

haha that made me laugh in releif aswell lizzie !! eye level good idea caroline x🙂

I had to smile about the stairs. A few years ago i had a major hypo in the night, got up fell over dog and landed down at the bottom of stairs all 15 of them, don't really remember it. Came to my senses in the kitchen pouring diet coke over the floor. My mum heard it all and came to the rescue. Next day my leg was black and blue and 3 times the size. Ended up on crutches for 6 weeks with ripped ligaments. I can smile and laugh about it now. I had jelly babies in my room but often in a hypo state just head to kitchen without thinking. x

I have a theory about all you people who get up and go to the kitchen during the night - your houses are too comfortably warm! I only leave my bed at night when it is absolutely essential, hence hypo treatments within arm's reach, as it's too blimmin cold to get up! 😱

Those Fun size chocolate bars can be good under/next to your bed, then you dont have to get up, sure its better for you not moving around if you can help it.

x

It is much better to treat a hypo with either lucozade,coke or glucotabs as these work quickly. If you use chocolate for a hypo it will take a long time to get your levels up and this could cause another hypo while your waiting. The fat in the chocolate delays absorption of the glucose.🙂Bev

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back