Nice to get out in the garden!

grovesy

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Overcast but still mild ,done more lawn edge tidying, had to stop for a break after half an hour, as my back niggling. Still front lawn and the rest of back lawn to do. I reckon that is going to take another couple of days. I have plenty of compost at the moment as I had a delivery a few weeks ago, from my local garden centre, ordered more seeds yesterday.
Managed to do a bit more after lunch, the sun was out whilst I was out, only about 3 foot left of front lawn to tidy, it is bit more difficult than back lawn, as we have mesh underneath, as it was used to park a car on.

Robin

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Husband has just planted our onion sets, and I Googled whether they’re likely to get eaten by badgers, since we now have a little (or not so little) black and white visitor from next door. Consensus seemed to be that even if they don’t eat them, they are likely to pull them out to have a look, so I’ve just put wire fencing up round our onion bed!

grovesy

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Husband has just planted our onion sets, and I Googled whether they’re likely to get eaten by badgers, since we now have a little (or not so little) black and white visitor from next door. Consensus seemed to be that even if they don’t eat them, they are likely to pull them out to have a look, so I’ve just put wire fencing up round our onion bed!
Will fencing stop them as don't they burrow aewell?

Robin

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Will fencing stop them as don't they burrow aewell?
I was hoping it would slow them down a bit! They have certainly burrowed under the fence to get into the garden in the first place, but if there are easier pickings in the garden (they have dug all over the bottom lawn, which is a semi wild bit anyway so I don’t really mind) they might try something else instead.

grovesy

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I was hoping it would slow them down a bit! They have certainly burrowed under the fence to get into the garden in the first place, but if there are easier pickings in the garden (they have dug all over the bottom lawn, which is a semi wild bit anyway so I don’t really mind) they might try something else instead.
Hope it helps.

Leadinglights

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
We have had badgers on the allotment in the past and it looked as if someone had used a rotorvator.
We have to grow our onions and leeks under a fine mesh as there is allium leaf miner in our area so they are protected from any digging up.

nonethewiser

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Got out in back garden yesterday tidying up. Put few new plants in last year still waiting to see how many survived winter, some are showing others not, need to find some medium sized evergreens for all year colour, recommendations would be welcome.

Leadinglights

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Got out in back garden yesterday tidying up. Put few new plants in last year still waiting to see how many survived winter, some are showing others not, need to find some medium sized evergreens for all year colour, recommendations would be welcome.
A few suggestions, pieris, euronymus, variegated holly, rosemary, choisya, heuchera, ceanothus, grasses. cornus will give you nice red winter bark. A lot of plants seem to be able to cope with cold or wet but not wet and cold so what survives is pot luck.

Ditto

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I was out this morning not long after 6 sweeping the road and pavement, I couldn't stand it for another day, dirty rotten Brits... and this is the peoples that are gonna save this planet, they can't even keep their own areas nice, two full bins of rubbish, dog dirt, leaves I hadn't managed to get up in the Autumn, discarded masks, bottles, general detritus and twigs from our Silver Birch. Weighed a ton, I could only just manage to haul it back to the wheelie bin. At least no empty liquor bottles, for some reason that person or persons has started discarded those at the other end of the bungalow block, all over the show. Disgusting pigs.

I'm gonna take a year off from the garden ie bedding and stuff, just gonna mow and keep it tidy if I can. Don't feel up to hauling bags of compost home, I will concentrate of finding tree seedlings and planting them into any container I can find. I like trees. :)

I want a badger.

Last edited:

grovesy

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Overcast here finished tidying the edge of my front lawn. My back lawn tidying may have to wait my neighbour has got a workman doing something to her shed.
Someone at the top of the road seem to be having and has done for weeks, problems with telecommunications, the amount of time and number of workers they could have renewed the whole of the close's lines.

grovesy

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Sunny but nippy when the sun goes in , managed to do a few more sessions in the garden today. I have now managed to finish all the lawn edge tidying. Was going to try a rake the moss out of the lawn but could not find the right rake.

nonethewiser

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
A few suggestions, pieris, euronymus, variegated holly, rosemary, choisya, heuchera, ceanothus, grasses. cornus will give you nice red winter bark. A lot of plants seem to be able to cope with cold or wet but not wet and cold so what survives is pot luck.

Great thanks for suggestions.

grovesy

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I have grown three different varieties of cornus in the past, and although the barks were coloured, in my garden they were not as vivid, as I expected. The summer foliage for me was disappointing to so they dug up.

Freddie1966

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Beautiful day here , need to do the garden as the puppies have destroyed it . Their favourite game is pull up the bush and drag it into the kitchen. Lucky we love them so much

grovesy

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Another lovely day here, I have been busy doing general tidying in my garden.Garden Wheelie bins emptied yesterday, I have one half full again already!

everydayupsanddowns

Administrator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
A really beautiful weekend for dog walking, and you can really tell how people are champing at the bit to get released into a little more freedom!

Quite a few seem to have distinct difficulty counting to 1 for the ‘you can meet one friend outside for a walk or exercise’ rule :p

everydayupsanddowns

Administrator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1

Hope it works @Robin

My folks had to abandon growing carrots as the local badgers went mad for them, and used to break through the fences to get access!

grovesy

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Well another day in the garden doing more tidying, first session ws cloudy as the early fog took ages to clear, then next ones the sun had popped up.

Becka

A really beautiful weekend for dog walking, and you can really tell how people are champing at the bit to get released into a little more freedom!

Looking out of the window today, the colour of the light made me really feel the need to get out on my motorcycle more than any other time during the past year of shielding. It reminded me of coming home through Oxfordshire or Wiltshire on a summer evening.

Hopefully people will not mess things up and delay the April 12th step on the government plan, as that will allow such activity and come shortly after my second vaccination dose.