nice optician

Status
Not open for further replies.

LisaLQ

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Went for an eye test (the normal kind, not retinopathy screening) - my first since my diabetes diagnosis. The optician was fab, he checked my retinas (as I was diagnosed R1 background retinopathy last year) and said they haven't got any worse, went on to explain retinopathy in much more detail for me (all I got from the docs/NHS was a letter giving me the results and a leaflet). He said I have to keep my sugars under strict control to make sure it doesn't get worse, he asked how often I was testing etc. I said as far as my docs were concerned, I wasnt testing at all, but I had bought my own meter and strips and ignored that. He said absolutely keep testing, otherwise I wont know whether my sugars are under control.

So just wanted to say - my first really positive experience - and it wasn't an NHS one, just a regular optician. Brilliant chap, I left feeling much better about the retinopathy.

Oh and just as a side note, I've ordered the bestest specs ever....black with pink kisses on them!

Sounds very positive lisa nice work and well done to the optician always nice to have a pleasent trip and pleasent person to deal with

jealous or what of your specs lol mine just have flowers on.:D

Well done Lisa. I find my optician is pretty good (and the eye test is free in Scotland, even the retinopathy picture).
The hospital is 2 nurses who are always very nice, but as you say all you get is a letter. The picture took 5 minutes and then back home (35 mile drive). This time (the third and without the drops) they said no change keep your sugars under control, so it was worth it just to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back